Mountain Pass Snow Today.. Best Weather in Canada Starts Tomorrow.. Jan 2nd
- By far the best weather across the country will be in BC 's south coast tomorrow as the rest of Canada continues to sits in extreme cold
- Much of Metro Vancouver has seen around 10 mm already as a Pacific cold front moves inland. Rain will continue through this afternoon with another 10-15 mm possible
- After the front passes through early this evening, skies will begin to clear quickly as the winds shift. Winds will be strong overnight & tomorrow morning from the NW
- The same cold front moving east today will bring snow to sections of the southern interior highway passes today and tonight especially for the Coquihalla Highway - 15 to 25 cm are expected with higher amounts of 30 to 50 cm possible near the Coquihalla summit. The heaviest snow should taper off by early Friday morning.
- Dry and cool weather will dominate over the weekend as a cooler airmass moves into place. Lots of sun Friday - Sunday but temps will drop below zero tomorrow night with afternoon highs down to 3é4 for the weekend
- A new system moves in for Monday which may being some local mountain snow
Already snowing on the Coquihalla.. as much as 50 cm on the summit by tomorrow am
Prairies to Atlantic Canada Deep Freeze
- Extreme wind chills are in place today from SK through to Newfoundland with warnings and special weather statements to match
- For parts of Canada feeling the minus 40 to minus 50 wind chills again today - this is about as cold as it gets for Canada
- Toronto will likely be under the extreme cold alert again tonight for -25 wind chills
- Edmonton is in the edge of the coldest of the air but is instead getting freezing rain today and is under a warning through to this evening
- Cold air will remain in place for another couple days with a warm-up starting in the east for the end of the weekend
- But that`s just about the time a second wave of Arctic air spills back down across Alberta to begin it`s track eastward..ie more cold air next week
Temperatures alone are frigid even before the wind chills..
Blizzard Tonight from NYC to Atlantic Canada
- A major snowstorm will reach from across part of the Midwest to New England tonight into Friday.
- By tonight the storm will affect 20 states with more than 120 million people in the Midwest and the Northeast combined and could have a major negative impact on travel for people returning from holiday destinations, heading back to school or resuming business activities.
- Meanwhile, blizzard warnings have been issued for all of Nova Scotia and parts of Newfoundland inc St John.s for a blast of snow with this same US system and stronger winds that will bring prolonged periods of white out conditions for parts of Nova Scotia
- The worst of the weather will be just ramping up for our shows tonight in Halifax
Taken from CBC Maritime Meteorologist Kalin Mitchell's facebook page
More Than 300 Sharks In Australia Are Now On Twitter
- Government researchers have tagged >300 sharks so that when they gets close to shore they will tweet out a message with their position
California tests natural disaster early warning system
- An early warning system for earthquakes, tsunamis and floods is being trialled in the US.
- Scientists are using GPS technology and other sensors to detect the impending threat of natural disasters.. this is the same system Japan uses and best system we;'ve got