Incredibly Dry Forecast Ahead...Jan 16th
- Looks like we got all our Jan rain out last weekend as our high pressure ridge keeps the south coast protected for at least the next 7 days
- An inversion has built in though meaning foggy mornings, blue skys and warm temps aloft
- If Vancouver can get out of the fog early enough today & tomorrow then our temps have the potential to reach 7-8 degrees
- Slight chance of showers Saturday eve with more clouds in the forecast but that's pretty much all she wrote for rain as high pressure and an inversion builds back in for next week
Few Things that Might Develop Today:
- Extreme drought conditions in California means they are primed for wildfires
- Volcano Sinabung is still at it in Indonesia as it continues to spew volcanic ash. 26,000 have now had to flee their homes.
European Storm Train: Flooding Rains for France, Snow for Sochi
- A train of storms chugging across southern Europe will set the stage for flooding rainfall in southeastern France and northern Italy through early next week.
- Farther east, a persistent snowy pattern is expected to unfold for the Olympic venues around Sochi as storm systems run into cold air
Human ancestors may have lived with dinosaurs
- Fred was real! Scientists have found that the first placental mammal lived between 88.3 to 91.6 million years ago, suggesting that the ancestor of humans shared the planet with dinosaurs.
- The study challenges previous research, which on the basis of fossil evidence had theorized that the first placental mammal arose after the dinosaurs died out.
'Falcon cam' reveals how the birds of prey close in for the kill
- Scientists have strapped tiny video cameras to the heads and backs of falcons to learn how the birds hunt their prey.