Couple of Soggy Days..Cold Air Ahead...Jan 28th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Drizzle continues to be the today's story for most of Vancouver, but a steadier round of moisture is quickly moving in from the south
- Steady rain will begin this evening for a good 15-20 mm tonight before tapering to showers tomorrow afternoon
- A general unsettled westerly flow will continue to bring rounds of showers through Thursday with cooling temperatures aloft
- Snow levels will be down to around 600m by Friday morning but best chance of local mountain snow will be maybe 5-15 cm Thursday. It's still a little too warm today and overnight for mountains snow.
- Much drier and even cooler air is set to move in for Friday into the weekend as arctic air creeps down across the province. Afternoon highs may struggle to get a few degrees above zero with well below zero overnights. Good news for snow-making though and for keeping any snow we see Thursday
Brutal Winter Weather Continues for the East
- An arctic airmass has once again settled across southern Ontario, Quebec and parts of the Maritimes, now a common theme to this winter season.
- Wind chills got down to -32 in Toronto this morning, and are expected to drop there again tonight with wind chill warnings & extreme cold alerts still in place across much of Ontario & Quebec
- In addition to the frigid conditions, snow squall watches and warnings remain in place as well for the lee shores of Georgian Bay - another 30 cm for some locations like Barrie
- Blowing snow throughout southern areas of ON/QC may also be an issue at times both Tuesday and Wednesday.
- And it's not over yet: 2 more Alberta clipper system will track across southern ON/QC over the next week: 5cm for most with strong winds on Friday morning and another 10-20 cm possible on Saturday. I know.
- Also of interest is the extreme ice cover for the Great Lakes..will have to dig into records etc but the ice coverage is definitely above seasonal this year: cool video of a downbound passage from the locks at Sault Ste. Marie towards Lake Huron. nearly two days rather than 2 hours thanks to thick ice. http://youtu.be/FbKbV6OvST8
Follow @CBCClaire for the latest Toronto & National weather updates
Can't Even Escape the Cold By Heading South...
- The same arctic air is once again invading the southern states of the US again thanks to a new storm system tapping into Gulf of Mexico moisture, we may see snow and ice from central Texas to the eastern Carolinas spanning Tuesday into early Wednesday.
- Power outages along with travel issues may be a big concern tonight
And Another Round for Atlantic Canada After Ice-Up Today
- Winter is also not giving a break to the east coast: flash freeze warnings have ow dropped after a 15-20 drop iced up many roads, but a new system is threatening to bring fresh snow for tomorrow
- The same system bringing snow to parts of the southern US will also bring snow to southern portions of Atlantic Canada on Wednesday with amounts between 5-20 cm
- A special weather statement is in place for the impending storm
Follow @CBCWeather for the latest Canadian weather news
River of hydrogen flowing through space observed
- Astronomers have discovered what could be a never-before-seen river of hydrogen flowing through space. This very faint, very tenuous filament of gas is streaming into our nearby galaxy and may help explain how certain spiral galaxies keep up their steady pace of star formation