Winter Wonderland This AM..Slushy & Mild by PM...Dec 20th
- Snow began last night around 10 pm for Vancouver and continues to fall into the noon hour
- Many commuters woke up to 5-9 cm of accumulation on the ground
- Snowfall totals from EC as of 10am: Vancouver YVR: 9cm, Abbotsford: 9cm; Victoria: 12cm; Nanaimo: 5cm. As much as 15-19 cm have been locally reported across the South coast
- Warmer air is being introduced into the south coast - changing over to rain already in Victoria. Milder air will change the snow to rain for areas near the coast in the next hour or so. But for others the heavy, wet snow will continue to fall until 2, 3 pm
- By 5 om all the snow/rain should be over. Roads may still be slippery though for the commute home. Some freezing tonight with temps dropping to 0-1 degrees
- 10-15 cm has also fall across the central BC interior & coast with another 10-15 cm tonight
- About 5-10 for the southern interior mountain passes today as well
- Lingering drizzle is on tap for Saturday, the first official day of winter, with temps around 3/4 degrees. Snow will have melted ;(
- Back to seasonal 6 and 7s by Sunday, but the risk of more showers..
- Early outlook calls for high pressure ridge to build in for at least Tue-Thu meaning a sunny & mild (but green) Christmas
Storm #1 Still Hitting ON Today..QC & Maritimes Tonight
- Freezing rain has been falling across Southern Ontario today.. it's just pushing into Kingston now where major freezing rain is happening now in Oshawa, Trenton and Belleville area now..working its way into Eastern Ontario & southern Quebec & central Maritimes by this evening.
- Precip is falling as rain near the Lake Ontario shoreline and temps have risen above freezing west of London & Hamilton, however it is likely the freezing rain warning will be re-introduced by Saturday morning as temperatures swing back below freezing.
- Elsewhere periods of freezing rain will persist into tonight for up to 5 mm can be expected in some places.
- The precip will taper to patchy freezing drizzle this evening over western sections and by Saturday morning over eastern regions.
- So Ontario gets a short break Saturday afternoon before...
Follow @CBCWeather and @CBCClaire for the latest
More Powerful Ice Storm #2 for Sun
- A second and stronger system could bring a major ice storm to the regions late Saturday into Sunday morning.
- Significant rainfall likely near Lake Erie and significant snowfall and ice pellets from Northern Lake Huron to the Ottawa Valley.
- There is still uncertainty surrounding the exact position of the storm track- any change in the storm centre's track will affect precipitation amounts and type but holiday travel will be significantly impacted.
- From EC: Travelers should be prepared for dangerous winter travelling conditions. Untreated roads and sidewalks may become icy and very slippery especially in areas that receive extended periods of freezing rain. Power outages may also be an issue to deal with
- Same storm system will be bringing everything from tornadoes to snow south of the border from Texas through to Main over the next few days, affecting millions
Wicked storm may lash United Kingdom around Christmas Eve