Soggy but Mild Vancouver Forecast..Heavy Snow Continues Prince George...Dec 12th
- A band of rain is just moving through the lower mainland now (just after noon), as a cold front swings through the south coast
- Rain will continue through the day for Vancouver, with a couple cm of wet snow for higher elevations. Winds will pick up as well for gusty conditions as the front moves through
- Meanwhile, snow is still falling for the central interior where Prince George has picked up 20-30 cm in the past 2 days with another 5-10 cm through the day today. Lots of problems on the roads as well as school closures, and snowfall warnings are still in place before things ease this evening.
- Snow also falling for Howe Sound for up to 10-20 cm today incl the sea to sky highway.
- Rain and snow will taper off tonight for the south coast but showers will linger through Friday and Saturday with a moist northwesterly flow
- The next Pacific storm will arrive late Saturday, bringing more rain and Vancouver temps back up to 7-8 degrees through Sunday
- At this point looks like the on and off soggy weather will continue through much of next week as well with 7 or 8 being the magic afternoon high temp
Weekend Winter Storm Shaping up for the East
- While snow squalls continue to be the story today for the Great Lakes, a developing storm system will disrupt travel (and Christmas shopping) from parts of the Midwest (yes, third storm in a week) to the US Northeast as well as Ontario through to Atlantic Canada beginning tomorrow
- This could be the first major snowfall of the season for the GTA beginning Friday with 2-5 cm of squall snoww but ramping up to 10-15 cm potentially by Sunday as the storm tracks south.
- A special weather statement is already in place for parts of the Maritimes for the potential for major snow on Sunday (upwards of 30 cm for some with big winds)
Snapshot of potential weekend winter storm using the GEM Canadian model.
Melting Arctic sea ice could be altering jet stream
- With the jetstream once again playing a major role in the recent, continent-wide, cold snap and storm track, a good time to look at new studies that continues to link climate change to the jetstream
- A research group from the Chinese Academy of Sciences looked for patterns of atmospheric change correlated with the loss of Arctic summer sea ice and the decline of early summer snow cover - and they indeed found modest correlations with the behavior of the jetstream.
science/2013/12/melting- arctic-sea-ice-could-be- altering-jet-stream/
Unusual December snowstorm strikes Middle East, Jerusalem shutdown
- A major winter storm has laid down a rare early December blanket of snow in many parts of the Middle East. In Jerusalem, schools, roads, and businesses were closed, after over 10 cm fell this morning - the most in December in 60 years.
blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/ 2013/12/12/unusual-december- snowstorm-strikes-middle-east- jerusalem-shutdown/