Snow for Victoria, Wind Chill Warnings Parts of South Coast...Dec 5th
- Snow has begun to accumulate now in downtown Victoria after starting just in time for the morning commute. A special weather statement is in place for the island for as much as 5 cm in yyj with higher amounts inland
- The system that is bringing the moisture is sitting just off the coast of the island and is not quite strong or big enough to swing in any accumulating snow for the lower mainland.
- In fact clearing skies are already moving in for Vancouver and the snow should end for all by this evening as the system sinks south
- But the cold is a different story - outflow winds from the north are increasing, in part thanks to the offshore system, and it's dropping temps even further tonight. Overnight low temperature records were already broken this morning for Victoria in the minus 1 to minus 5 range
- There are now wind chill warnings in place for the Fraser valley for inc Abbotsford, Whistler & Howe Sound for values below minus 20 tonight and Friday!
- Winds will also be gusty as they channel through the valleys
- Sunny and cold is the story Friday though Sunday. Afternoon highs for Vancouver will stay below zero and overnight lows will approach the minus double digits
- The timing of the next system continues to get pushed back - it now looks like we may see some light snow Mon night or Tue with an approaching front that may usher in some milder temps for mid week..switching snow over to rain in the process
- South of the border, Seattle has the potential to see 3 consecutive days of -20 temps ---> a cold stretch we haven't seen since Dec 1998. Even though its wind chills in the -20, not straight tempos for us in the Fraser Valley, gives you an idea of the climatology of this event
Same Cold at Dangerous Levels for Prairies..and Southern US
- The same cold airmass is locked firmly in place for all of western Canada
- Temperatures this afternoon for the major cities are in the -20's to -30's with wind chills even colder
- Tomorrow will be the peak of the cold air, dropping by another 10 degrees - I imagine wind chill warnings will be issues as they approach the -40 range
- The jetstream that is helping to usher in the arctic air has dipped down across the southern US states- snow fell yesterday night in LA!
- Meanwhile, on the other side of the jetstream, temps are downright balmy in comparison - 10 degrees this afternoon in Toronto
- On the boundary between these two air masses, parts of the US looking to into a very dangerous ice storm this evening from northern Texas to western Kentucky. We should keep an eye out for updates and pictures
Major ice storm unfolding in the U.S. Follow @CBCWeather for the latest
Fierce storms bring chaos to parts of UK
- Winds of over hurricane strength (>120 km/h) are sweeping Scotland, Northern Ireland, and northern and eastern England.
- Travel is very badly disrupted; Scotland's entire rail network is suspended, and more than 100,000 homes are without power.
- The Met Office have issued scores of flood warnings; the environment agency says that across England and Wales, thousands of people are expected to suffer flooding over the next 24 hours.
- Great pics of course on daily mail - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/
news/article-2518340/Sea- walls-breached-raging-seas- hours-BEFORE-high-tide-140mph- Arctic-winds-batter-British- coastline.html