BC Storm Starts Tonight...Nov 6th
- A developing area of low pressure will approach the extreme South Coast of British Columbia tonight, bringing lots of rain, gusty winds and heavy snow the the mountain passes
- A special weather statement is in place for the higher elevations of the southern interior connectors for 5-10 cm tonight
- As for the south coast, showers will begin for Vancouver later this afternoon, becoming heavy through the overnight
- 30-50 mm is expected for parts of Vancouver (higher amounts on the north shore) before beginning to taper off tomorrow afternoon
- The system will track east, bringing snow to the Rockies and parts of the southern interior
- Lingering showers will stick around for Friday, before another system brings rain for Saturday (although not as stormy as tonight's)
- Temps remain cool all this week with afternoon highs around 8/9
Meanwhile, Storm for Ontario & Quebec Too
- Southern Ontario and Quebec will generally see a warm, wet and windy day today as a the same low pressure system that has brought snow the Prairies this week, tracks across northeastern Ontario into western Quebec.
- The heaviest rain will fall near the upper Great Lakes but rain for Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal today
- Temps are mild as well for the south- mid teens for Toronto!
Greenhouse gas levels hit new record high
- Atmospheric volumes of greenhouse gases blamed for climate change hit a new record in 2012, the World Meteorological Organisation reported today
- The accelerating trend is driving climate change, making it harder to keep global warming to within 2 degrees Celsius, a target agreed at a Copenhagen summit in 2009.
- This year is worse than last year, and 2011 was worse than 2010
technology/greenhouse-gas- levels-hit-new-record-high-1. 2416567
Super typhoon Haiyan hits Category 5, an extremely serious threat to Philippines
- The western Pacific storm Haiyan has intensified without interruption since Sunday and is now a dangerous Category 5 super typhoon, with maximum sustained winds exceeding 260 km/h.
- It is on a path due west, and landfall Friday in the central Philippines is inevitable.
blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/ 2013/11/06/super-typhoon- haiyan-hits-category-5-an- extremely-serious-threat-to- philippines/
Dangerous meteors hit Earth way more often than thought
- Events similar to Chelysbinsk meteor strike happen once every 30 years, not 150
- Meteors about the size of the one that burst over Russia in Feb -- and ones even larger and more dangerous -- are probably 4-5 times more likely to hit the planet than scientists believed before the fireball, according to three studies published today
technology/dangerous-meteors- hit-earth-way-more-often-than- thought-1.2417013
New 'Body Part' Discovered In Human Knee
- Thought we knew every part of the human body? Think again. Surgeons in Belgium recently discovered a new ligament in the human knee.
- Publishing their research today, the knee specialists provided the first anatomical description of the fibrous tissue, called the anterolateral ligament that may play a pivotal role among patients with ACL tears
2013/11/06/new-ligament-human- knee-anterolateral_n_4221043. html