Nice Sunny Breaks for Vancouver Next Couple Days.. Oct 8th
- Lingering moisture and an upper level low moving south of BC this am led to a few morning showers across the valley as well as thunderstorms for our friends in Seattle
- Stronger northwesterly winds are kicking in and clearing things out nicely for most this afternoon, And winds will begin easing this afternoon
- Our ridge of high pressure holds for tomorrow bringing a mix of sun and cloud to the south coast, just a slight chance of grey morning for some tomorrow
- A weakening low pressure system will sneak in around the high pressure for Thursday bringing the chance of morning showers to Vancouver before clearing back up
- Chance of rain again for Friday & Saturday but not a lot of consistency in the models for high confidence yet on this one..looks like back to the sun though for the Thanksgiving Sunday & Monday
Major Winter Storm for Iqaluit
- Not that snow in the north is normally news-worthy but an intense low pressure system will be bringing up to 20 cm of snow by tonight along with 100 km/h winds gusts! Wind & Snowfall warnings are in place and winds have been gusting to 70-100 km/h for the past 12 hours!
- Farther north on Baffin Island the same system will bring more like 30 cm of snow
Retired astronaut Chris Hadfield takes teaching post at University of Waterloo
- His areas of teaching and research have yet to be defined, but he is expected to teach both undergraduate and graduate students as a professor of aviation starting next Fall 2014
com/news/national/retired- astronaut-chris-hadfield- takes-teaching-post-at- university-of-waterloo/ article14742844/
Cheap, spray-on solar cells developed by Canadian researchers
- Silicon-free solar cells, light and flexible enough to roll up or use as window blinds, are under development at a University of Alberta lab.
- So far, the team has only made very small solar cells, but they recently received funding from the Alberta government to apply the coating to larger sheets of plastic.
technology/cheap-spray-on- solar-cells-developed-by- canadian-researchers-1.1913086
Nobel Prize for physics goes to Higgs Boson researchers
- Britain's Peter Higgs and Francois Englert of Belgium won the Nobel Prize for physics on Tuesday for predicting the existence of the Higgs boson particle that explains how elementary matter attained the mass to form stars and planets.
nobel-prize-for-physics-goes- to-higgs-boson-researchers-1. 1929382