Strong Showers & T-storms After Big Weekend Storm...Sept 30th
- A rapidly intensifying Pacific low pressure system made landfall along north-Central Vancouver Island near Estevan Point Sunday evening bringing hurricane force winds and heavy rain.
- Top wind speeds reached hurricane force strength on west Vancouver Island (122 km/h ) but even Victoria saw 76 km/h winds and Tsawwassen saw 81 km/h gusts. The storm hit slightly farther north than first forecasts were predicting so Vancouver was spared the worst of the winds
- Behind the system that is now tracking inland and weakening, a strong southwesterly flow will continue to bring rounds of heavy showers and the risk of thunderstorms to the south coast today
- In fact, this morning ~7:30 am a tornado hit Frederickson WA (just south of Tacoma). The National Weather Service has confirmed it was a tornado (while very rare for the PNW not totally unheard of...WA gets maybe 1 a year) still waiting to hear strength and path but some damage to buildings and rail cars reported: http://www.komonews.com/news/
local/Possible-tornado- damages-buildings-in- Frederickson-225810071.html
- Also, some great snow pictures of fresh +15 cm up on Whistler yesterday...more to come this week
- Rainfall warnings are still in place for Howe Sound and Fraser Valley for stronger bands of showers today
- Over the course of the next few days, heavier rounds of showers with cooler temps will continue to plague the forecast. But by Thursday it looks like we catch a bit of a break.
National Weather Service would continue operating in US shutdown
- If the Federal government shuts down tomorrow, NWS will still issue weather forecasts and warnings.
- "emergency operations that protect against a significant and imminent threat to the safety of human life and property" are excluded (or "excepted") from the shutdown the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) says.
- When the government last shutdown in 1996, the NWS also continued its basic weather operations
blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/ 2013/09/30/national-weather- service-would-continue- operating-in-shutdown/
Breaking Bad Science
- No, this is not a meth how-to guide but rather a look at the science behind the iconic tv show