Couple of Stunners, Before rain Returns...Sept 25th
- A nice ridge of high pressure has built in for the BC coast bringing sunshine and warming temps today and tomorrow
- Chilly starts with some fog will give way to afternoon highs in the high teens today and tomorrow
- By Friday, a Pacific low pressure system will push it's fronts onto the coast for Friday bringing back to the clouds, and rain, as well as cooler temperatures through Friday to Vancouver
- Looks like this system will pulse in a few waves of moisture right through the weekend along with gusty winds, but temps will climb back up to the high teens
- Snow levels will drop again for Sunday into Monday for more snow at elevation! Could be looking at a big rain/snow event
Flooding for Sochi
- Floods and mudslides caused by heavy rain have prompted Russian authorities to introduce a state of emergency in Sochi, the host city of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
- The water is beginning to recede but this disaster has helped raise the cost of hosting the Olympics to 50 billion dollars - the most expensive games in history
722/floods-mudslides-prompt- state-of-emergency-in-sochi-1. 1867554
Will an Atlantic Storm Lash the East Coast? Long Range
- Current indications are that a storm will spin up just off the Atlantic coast Sunday and Monday. One scenario swings that storm westward to Atlantic Canada with heavy rain, gusty winds and rough seas.Other scenarios parallel the storm along the mid-Atlantic and New England coasts, take the storm out to sea or bring the storm northward, brushing New England and into Atlantic Canada.Too far out to give any one scenario high confidence but definitely one to watch
Ancient oxygen discovery rewrites history of life on Earth
- Oil analysis by B.C. scientist suggests photosynthesis evolved more than 3 billion years ago - that means oxygen appeared in the Earth's atmosphere up to 700 million years earlier than thought
- The results of the study suggest that it doesn't take very long for complex metabolisms, such as those required for photosynthesis, to evolve. But it does take a long time for oxygen levels to get high enough to support complex life.
technology/ancient-oxygen- discovery-rewrites-history-of- life-on-earth-1.1867976