Sun Today..Big Changes Start Tomorrow...Aug 13th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- After a cloudy start to the day, skies have cleared out across the south coast for another fair afternoon
- Right now we are sitting in a bit of an upper level ridge, following the break-down of yesterday`s spinning low off the coast, and an approaching Pacific low
- Tomorrow will begin with sunshine but clouds will increase through the afternoon with the chance of evening showers as the Pacific frontal system begins to make it`s way onshore
- Unsettled conditions will prevail through the rest of the week with showers in the forecast right through to Sunday at this point
- Not a wash-out of a forecast though.. we should get some sunny breaks in the forecast between the showers most days and looks like beginning early next week our summer-like pattern returns
- There is a general thunderstorm watch in place once again today for the interior for the risk of afternoon/evening thunderstorms in the unstable air.. big risk for fire-starts as well
A New Heart-Stopping Tsunami Video from Japan
- A "new" video has emerged of the Tohoku tsunami racing inland in a Japanese port town...I have not heard anyone say they have seen this before and it really is jaw-dropping
- This blog does a good job of a timeline:
Unsettled for Prairies & Atlantic Canada Today
- Could be another afternoon/evening of severe storms for southern AB- watches already in place
- Meanwhile rainfall warnings are in place for St John;s for a system moving up the east coast..storms will continue to develop over the southern sections of the Rock today and this evening for locally heavy amounts
- May see some storms fire up in Eastern Ontario/Southern QC this afternoon/evening as well (Ottawa/Montreal)
Deadly Typhoon Utor Moving Closer to Southeast China
- Category 2 Typhoon Utor is closing in on Southeast China, where it is expected to come ashore about midnight our time, about 200 km southwest of Hong Kong.
- Widespread heavy rains are already falling across much of Southeast China
- Utor is a large typhoon, and will dump torrential rains capable of causing deadly flash floods and mudslides over much of Southeast China and Northern Vietnam over the next three days
Japan, South Korea soar to hottest recorded levels
- Late last week Austria and Slovenia established new records for extreme heat in central Europe. Moving east, we can now add South Korea and Japan to the list of countries with new high temperature records, courtesy the summer of 2013.
In Dying Brains, Signs of Heightened Consciousness
- A new study is causing a bit of a buzz today: Scientists have discovered that rats show an unexpected pattern of brain activity immediately after cardiac arrest.
- With neither breath nor heartbeats, these rodents were clinically dead but for at least 30 seconds, their brains showed several signals of conscious thought, and strong signals to boot.
- This suggests that our final journey into permanent unconsciousness may actually involve a brief state of heightened consciousness."Near-death experiences are a physiological reality, but science and medicine haven't taken them seriously for way too long,"