Stormy Thursday Ahead! Big Rains & Big Winds Start Tonight...Aug 28th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Last night was the first significant rainfall since June! West Van: 14mm, Harbour: 16mm, YVR: 13mm with as much as 20 mm for parts of the valley and the north shore
- For most of the day Vancouver will stay dry between last nights rain and the approaching storm. Some areas even catching some sun in the next couple hours
- Tonight, a more intense frontal system will move in bringing heavy rain and strong winds. A special weather statement is in place for the south coast
- Storm rainfall totals will range from 15-40 mm with as much as 50 mm on the west sides of the mountains. We may even see a few embedded thunderstorms.
- Temperatures will also be on the cool side - ok tomorrow will be miserable!
- After the storm passes tomorrow night, showers will linger Friday but general conditions will be improving for a great looking Labour Day long weekend forecast. Warm and sunny!
Toronto Haze Due to Yosemite Fire?
- Upper level winds (the jet stream) are transported chemical matter (combustion products) emitted in from the Rim fire, and affecting air quality thousands of kms from the source.
- Model simulations of the transport of carbon monoxide from NASA show the matter following the jet stream up and into the Prairies and down into southern Ontario..expected to stay in that pattern for a couple of days
com/blogs/capital-weather- gang/wp/2013/08/27/california- rim-fire-a-tour-from-earth- and-space/
Do Tornadoes Traveling Uphill Do More Damage? New Study
- New research finds that tornadoes cause greater damage when traveling uphill -- and that the twisters tend to climb toward higher elevations rather than going downhill. Very interesting.. will look into this one
news/new-study-tornadoes- traveling-uphill-do-more- damage-20130827
Researcher controls colleague's motions in 1st human brain-to-brain interface
- University of Washington researchers have performed what they believe is the first noninvasive human-to-human brain interface, with one researcher able to send a brain signal via the Internet to control the hand motions of a fellow researcher. Yeah really!
news/2013/08/27/researcher- controls-colleagues-motions- in-1st-human-brain-to-brain- interface/
Remember the periodic table? Now there's a NEW element to learn
- Scientists in Sweden have confirmed the existence of a new chemical element. The 'super-heavy' man-made element has been temporarily named 'ununpentium' and refers to its 115th place in the periodic table...somebody tell the 'Animaniacs' they need to update their song
- The element will likely get a new name if the discovery is formally approved by experts
- Ununpentium makes an appearance in computer games including Call of Duty and is thought to be used by aliens, according to believers
sciencetech/article-2403824/ New-element-ununpentium-added- periodic-table.html