A Stretch of Fall Starting Tomorrow...Aug 22nd
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- High pressure ridge remains in place over BC for one more day but will continue to track eastward tomorrow
- Temps will once again sit above seasonal this afternoon with mainly blue skies
- Tomorrow morning will likely start off sunny but an approaching system will be allowed to slide in since the high pressure that was protecting us is getting out of dodge
- Cloud will begin to spread across the south coast tomorrow afternoon with the risk for showers beginning tomorrow evening
- Temperatures will be back to the low 20s tomorrow with a cooler air mass, marking the transition to cooler weather that will last through to next week
- Mainly cloudy skies and the slight risk of Saturday showers will be the weekend story with unsettled weather into next week
Megacity Megaquakes--Two Near Misses
- A new 'report' was published today in the Science journal that offers perspective about what the recent Japan & Chile megaquakes may means for increased aftershocks in nearby major cities...
- It's not just 'the big one' that Vancouver is waiting for, but the aftershocks that may continue for decades afterwards. And the concern is that if a major fault ruptures further down the west coast of the US..that may also increase our seismicity of medium sized shaking
- The report also talks about the need to share earthquake data globally - the Global Earthquake Model (GEM) was founded in 2009 and in 2014 will launch an open, public model of global earthquake risk that includes not just the hazard, but its consequences in terms of lives and money saved and damage diminished when protective measures are taken.
Sun unleashes flares at Earth
- On August 20, the Sun erupted with an Earth-directed coronal mass ejection, a solar phenomenon which can send billions of tons of particles into space that can reach Earth one to three days later...so tonight auroras will be strong but electronic systems in satellites and on the ground may be affected
indiatimes.com/home/science/ Sun-unleashes-flares-at-Earth- 3-3m-km/hr/articleshow/ 21969236.cms
Sinkhole Video Louisiana
- Pretty crazy video of trees going down.. sounds like it was due to underground mining