Happy, Hot Canada Day!! Cooling Tomorrow, Still Sunny...July 1st
- A number of records fell yesterday across southern BC including Abbotsford at 33.3 and Squamish at 34.2
- The strong upper ridge of high pressure is holding for southern BC with afternoon temps getting into the low 30s for the south coast and high 30s for the southern interior. More records are already falling today and there is humidity in the air- making it feel a good 5 degrees warmer in some locations
- The top of the ridge is beginning to weaken and move eastward today. Consequently, the airmass is becoming increasingly unstable allowing for a weak upper disturbance moving across Northern BC to trigger for thunderstorm development late today. A thunderstorm watch is already in place.. if it happens these storms will likely be severe
- By tomorrow, onshore winds will kick back in for the south coast bringing our temps back down a few degrees..and a few degrees more for Wednesday. But the sunshine sticks around and temps are still above normal right through to the end of the week and possibly into next weekend!
Wind-Whipped Arizona Wildfire Kills 19 Firefighters
- I will look into the weather station data over the weekend to confirm but it seems that the firefighters lost their lives when the fire quickly picked up momentum
- This rapid shift in momentum was caused by strong wind gusts that developed on Sunday afternoon. Winds gusted as high as 50 km/h at the time.
- Lightning is the cause behind the fire that ignited on Friday but with record temperatures in place, the thunderstorms were dry meaning all wind and spark and no rain
Historic Heat Wave Turns Deadly in Las Vegas..Could Hit all-Time Earth Record Today in Death Valley
- The same heat spreading north to BC and fueling fires in Arizona is also shattering records and taking deadly turn in Las Vegas
- On Sunday, Las Vegas hit 47 degrees tying an all-time hottest temp record for Las Vegas
- The heat is so intense that Death Valley will approach the world's hottest temperature record today at 56 degrees. Right now Death Valley is about 2 degrees shy of the all time record of 56 degrees
Canada Day Across the Country
- Hot weather for BC & Alberta
- Warm & sunny across SK & MB too
- Wildfire still burning in Wabush, NL and west through northern Quebec; Special Weather Statements are out for Manitoba, Quebec, New Brunswick and NL today regarding poor air quality due to smoke from these fires.
- Sunny for Ontario & Quebec... soggy Maritimes unfortunately