Good Chance of Staying Dry..Cooler Temps This Weekend...July 26th
- Day 29 of no rain. It has now been a full month of not a drop at YVR. Last rain we saw at the station was June 27th. If we make it until Wednesday next week it will be an all-time driest July record..
- Morning fog once again moved in, but will continue to burn off.
- Our high pressure ridge that has been keeping us protected in the southern half of the province will continue to get pushed out as an upper level low slides down across the province
- The low will drag down slightly cooler temps for the weekend (low 20s) as well as a few more clouds to the mix
- The American model has introduced a slight risk of an afternoon shower Sat/Sun but at this point it's not showing up in any of the other models and has not been consistent enough to be given any confidence...but something I'll watch today
- Fire danger continues to creep up with more extreme pockets across the south. Some weekend rain for the southern interior may help but that may also come with lightning. http://bcwildfire.ca/weather/
I'll be at the Mission Folk Festival tonight for the show! There are still tickets left and it will be a fantastic evening: http://www.missionfolkmusicfestival.ca/
5.0 Earthquake off the Coast of Vancouver Island
- 5.0 magnitude quake struck 185 km West of Port Hardy this morning just before 6am at around 10 km deep
- No tsunami threat and no reports of anyone feeling the shaking
- Earthquakes Canada has estimated a 5.0 mag while USGS is giving it 5.1.
- Occurred in the Cascadia subduction zone where there is a high seismicity.. about 100 earthquakes of mag 5 or higher in the past 70 years here as the Juan de Fuca plate subducts underneath the North American plate
- Rain continues to fall for the Maritime provinces today with New Brunswick getting the bulls eye
- Rainfall warnings are in place for 40-70 mm and even upwards of 90 mm in the tstorms by Saturday
- No reports of flooding yet but localized flooding definitely a possibility
T-storm Risk Tonight
- Best chance in central AB & Northern BC. The foothills will be the place to watch for storms this afternoon/evening
Tropical Storm Dorian Still Tracking West
- Dorian could bring tropical storm conditions to the Leeward Islands Sunday and may approach the southeastern U.S. late next week.
- The storm has weakened slightly but will be tracking into warmer waters in the next couple days
Scientists Say they have Implanted False Memories into Mice
- Blade Runner anyone? A team was able to make the mice wrongly associate a benign environment with a previous unpleasant experience from different surroundings
Atmospheric Rivers: Pineapple Express for us..but Britain Gets them Too
- Atmospheric "rivers" of moisture flowing above the oceans have caused heavy rainfall and flooding in places such as California and Britain
- These "rivers," unknown just 20 years ago, could become more common -- and more severe -- as global temperatures rise,, researchers say
News/2013/07/25/Rivers-of- moisture-flowing-high-in- atmosphere-blamed-for-severe- floods/UPI-52621374792395/# ixzz2aAGNcDm6