Few More Clouds in the Mix..Slightly Cooler Temps..OK Still Amazing...July 3rd
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- High pressure continues to dominate keeping skies mainly clear today
- Onshore flow may bring in lower stratus early tomorrow morning making for a grey start.. but back to the sun by the afternoon
- Dry & sunny weather expected to stretch right through to early next week! Although a little disturbance may make for a mix of sun and cloud for Thu & Fri
- At this point it looks Iike there is a fair amount of confidence in the long range dry outlook
Unprecedented climate extremes marked last decade
- Today a new WMO report was released: The Global Climate 2001-2010, A Decade of Climate Extremes
- The report analyses global and regional temperatures and precipitation, and extreme weather such as the heat waves in Europe and Russia, Hurricane Katrina in the US, tropical cyclone Nargis in Myanmar, droughts in the Amazon basin, Australia and East Africa, and floods in Pakistan.
- The World Meteorological Organization says the planet "experienced unprecedented high-impact climate extremes" in the ten years from 2001 to 2010, the warmest decade since the start of modern measurements in 1850.
- Those ten years also continued an extended period of accelerating global warming, with more national temperature records reported broken than in any previous decade. Sea levels rose about twice as fast as the trend in the last century
environment/2013/jul/03/ unprecedented-climate- extremes-last-decade-un
- Full report: http://library.wmo.int/pmb_
Saskatchewan's Turn for the Heat..Then the Storms
- The cold front that brought 100 km/h gusts to central & southern Alberta last night continues to move eastward today
- Temperatures ahead of the front are up into the mid 30s today for SE SK and low 30s in Manitoba. Humidex is once again approaching the 40 mark this afternoon
- The cold front should slice into that hot hair this afternoon into this evening sparking up severe thunderstorms- strong winds and large hail will be the main threat again and watches are already in place
Still Smoggy Across Much of Central Canada
- Smog advisories and special air quality statements are out for Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and NL today due to fires burning in MB and QC.
- Haze is even being transported back down to Toronto, as it gets carried by the jetstream
Russian Booster Rocket Crashes in Kazakhstan
- A Russian booster rocket carrying three navigation satellites burst into flames and crashed on live TV moments after its launch Tuesday, dealing another painful blow to the nation's space prestige.
stories/E/EU_RUSSIA_FAILED_ LAUNCH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME& TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013- 07-02-11-39-18