Through the Worst of the Rain.. Improving Weather but Still Showery...June 26th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- After a wet, cool and windy morning for much of Vancouver, the risk of showers will remain in the forecast today.. but so will a chance for the sun to shine through again towards the early evening
- Some isolated t-storms may develop again across the lower mainland, especially out towards the valley
- The south coast weather continues to be controlled but our spinning low stuck just off the coast. These are tricky ones to get the timing of precip bands just right.. it does look like that although the southwest flow will continue to keep the atmosphere moist through to Friday (with sunny breaks)...an upper level high pressure system builds over the area for a drier and warmer long weekend
- For the 3rd time in less than a week..T-storms have brought locally heavy rainfall over Southwestern Manitoba resulting in further flooding problems in some areas.
- Yesterday afternoon, t-storms brought 104 mm of rain to the town of Reston..Just 4 days after being hit with 100-150 mm of rain last Friday night which caused extensive flooding in the town.
- Highway 2 west of Reston is closed this morning due to water over the road.
- Thunderstorm watches are again on place for southern MB today for the potential for more locally heavy rain
More Prairie Rain & Storms: Blame the Jetstream
- A line of rain and thunderstorms continue to stretch from Northern BC through central AB/SK into southern MB/ON
- The line is 'stuck' in place thanks to a stagnant jetstream. The jet usually races quickly across the country from west to east allowing changes weather conditions but it has become 'blocked' allowing for the same weather to continue for the dame places
- Rainfall warnings continue across N BC & N AB but luckily the band crosses well north of Calgary and the Bow River Basin. Forecast remains mainly dry through the weekend for southern Alberta
- Temps have cooled down today across the Maritimes but it's still hot and sticky and stormy for ON/QC
Southern Alberta Flood Conditions
- A Flood Warning remains in effect for the South Saskatchewan River including the City of Medicine Hat. Flows peaked very early Monday morning and although they are falling, they are still at least 3x normal flow level
- Warnings have been downgraded to watches now for the Bow & Elbow Rivers
World's first talking robot-astronaut ready to go to space
- In a world first, Japan is set to send a talking robot-astronaut to the International Space Station to conduct the first conversation between a human and a robot in outer space on Aug 4th.
indiatimes.com/home/science/ Worlds-first-talking-robot- astronaut-ready-to-go-to- space/articleshow/20780341.cms
- South African giraffe goes on rampage, chases tourists
com/life/life-video/video- south-african-giraffe-goes-on- rampage-chases-tourists/ article12814144/