Soggy Week Ahead...Warming & Drying for Long Weekend...June 24th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- As has been the story for the past couple of weeks for Vancouver, yet another upper level low pressure system has parked itself just off the south coast and is bringing cool & unsettled weather up from the south to much of the province this week
- Vancouver will see a bit of a break from the morning rain that should last through the evening and overnight with just the risk for a shower.
- The next band of steadier rain will slide up from the south for tomorrow morning that will last through much of the day. Totals will be over 20 mm for much of the south coast for probably the wettest day this week
- Temperatures are on the cool side today with highs of mid to high teens for Vancouver. Temps will start to recover by Wednesday although showers stick around Wed-Fri.
- Things do look like they will hopefully clear up nicely for the long weekend
- A thunderstorm watch is also in place for much of the central & northern interior for this afternoon
Flood Weather Update:
Southern Alberta: Unstable weather Continues Today
- More showers moving into SW Alberta this afternoon.. A general 5-10 mm may fall in isolated areas, so not a lot of precip but anything at this point is not helping the river basin & clean-up efforts
- There is also a risk of thunderstorms this afternoon & evening. These could bring very isolated higher amounts, as well as disruptive weather to crews working outside
- A Flood Warning remains in effect for the South Saskatchewan River including the City of Medicine Hat. The forecast peak likely happened early this morning for the City of Medicine Hat.
- A Flood Warning also remains in effect for the Bow River downstream of the City of Calgary including the City of Calgary. The Bow River at the mouth is currently peaking. Every else has been dropped to watch in the Bow River Basin. We should get an update on river flows just before showtime
- Looks like weather becomes much more stable beginning tomorrow with warm & sunny weather in the forecast for at least the next 5 days
- Rainfall totals since the event started on Wednesday with the slow-moving low pressure system are now between 80-280 mm with as much as 340 mm along the foothills & mountains
Manitoba: Rural Flooding
- Flooding is also a story in Manitoba thanks to a combination of the swollen Saskatchewan River flowing east, and the same low pressure system bringing +100 mm of quick rain to the province Sat & Sun
- States of emergency declared in Winnipegosis and RMs of Pipestone, Albert
- Rainfall warnings are in place for Flin Flon for continued heavy rain with embedded thunderstorms today for another 15 to 30 mm.
- That rain is expected to end by late this evening but unsettled weather remains in the forecast as showers & t-storms the next couple of days
Toronto Extreme Heat Alert
- A extreme heat alert has been issued for the city of Toronto for a second day in a row today for humidex values in the 40s.
- Humidex Advisories are also out for all of southern/eastern Ontario & southern Quebec as high temperatures get into the low thirties this afternoon accompanied by high humidities with humidex values touching 40.
- The heat & humidity will likely remain in effect with a continuation of uncomfortable conditions until mid week when a disturbance approaches with a greater chance of showers and thunderstorms. This should help break the heat.