Not Long Before We Are Back to the Sun!...June 7th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- A weak cold front has now slid through Vancouver bringing light rain and cooler temps
- However, conditions are quickly improving behind the front. In fact looks like Vancouver gets into a nice mix of sun and clouds this afternoon/evening with temps back up to high teens
- For tomorrow. high pressure builds back in bringing sunny afternoon (with cloudier mornings) for both Sat & Sun.
- Looks like the ridge holds through to much of next week as well
- Also happening this afternoon- a line of thunderstorms is moving through the central BC interior and thunderstorm watches are in place. Check here for the latest: http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
TS Andrea Loosing Tropical Characteristics..Lots of Moisture Left Though
- Andrea is now about 10 km SW of Fayetteville, NC with sustained winds of 75 km/h...moving at a good clip of 44 km/h NE-ward
- A tropical storm watch is in place for the coast of NC & VA for upwards of 150 mm, 0.6 m storm surge and possible tornadoes
- The storm will likely be downgraded to 'Post-Tropical Andrea' meaning it will no longer gain it;s strength from warm waters..however that does not decrease flooding risks
- The storm will then brush the mid-Atlantic coast and sweep over New England Friday into Saturday with locally heavy rain, brief gusty winds and a flooding risk.
Andrea's Canadian Impacts
- Andrea is already beginning to merge with a frontal system that will start to bring heavy rains into the Maritimes tonight.
- The moisture from Andrea will continue to get pulled across the Maritimes through the overnight and into Saturday with the centre moving across the Maritimes Saturday afternoon
- The South Coast of Newfoundland will likely receive heavy rain overnight Saturday into Sunday morning.
- The primary impact from this system will be rainfall. Rainfall warnings have just been issued for southernmost regions of New Brunswick, Eastern Prince Edward Island and all of Nova Scotia this afternoon for general rainfall amounts of 40 to 60 mm
NASA Spacecraft Sees Tornado's Destructive Swath
- A new image from NASA's Terra spacecraft shows the extent of destruction from the deadly Newcastle-Moore tornado that ripped through central Oklahoma May 20, 2013.
In Canada, Iceberg Harvester Seeks Chips Off Really Old Blocks
- It's iceberg-harvesting season in Newfoundland, Canada. Some folks scours the Atlantic for icebergs to harvest and sell the water to companies who make wine, beer and spirits.
email/ SB1000142412788732441260457851 5430577626410- lMyQjAxMTAzMDAwNjEwNDYyWj. html?mod=wsj_valettop_email
CBC Gets a Cicada Mention!
- Washingotn reporter writes of his experience with Paul Hunter!
blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/ 2013/06/06/international- sensations-foreign-reporters- catch-cicada-bug/
Kidney dialysis patient first in U.S. to receive blood vessel grown in laboratory
- In a first-of-its-kind operation in the United States, a team of doctors at Duke University Hospital helped create a bioengineered blood vessel and transplanted it into the arm of a patient with end-stage kidney disease.
- The procedure, the first U.S. clinical trial to test the safety and effectiveness of the bioengineered blood vessel, is a milestone in the field of tissue engineering. The new vein is an off-the-shelf, human cell-based product with no biological properties that would cause organ rejection.
health_library/news/surgeons- at-duke-university-hospital- implant-bioengineered-vein