Late Day Clearing For a Fine Weekend Ahead...June 14th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Stratus cloud and lingering showers will stick around for a few more hours before they scatter out late afternoon
- The moisture is still thanks to the tail end of the upper level low that continues to move out of the region
- In it's place, high pressure is building in and the ridge will hole through to Sunday bringing a mix of sun and cloud and warmer temps to the south coast for the weekend
- Looks like clouds will increase Sunday afternoon with the risk of a shower late Sunday..before a showery pattern sets up for the start of the work week
Grey & drizzly start
Fort McMurray Flooding Latest..Some Good News
- The weather warning for the Fort McMurray area has ended as it now looks like the heaviest of the rain will fall just to the east of the flooded area developing weather system in Saskatchewan was expected
- Showers will still occur however and rainfall amounts will be around 10 to 15 mm with isolated pockets of 30 mm.
- Landslides leading to clocking of the river is still the major concern
Colorado Fire Weather
- Unfortunately, the weather is not expected to help firefighting efforts. Erratic winds will persist, threatening to cause the fire to spread in different directions. Localized gusts between 50-60 km/h are possible again this afternoon. Locally gusty winds will occur on Saturday afternoon as well. The threat for dry thunderstorms will occur on Saturday afternoon. A dry thunderstorm produces lightning but little to no rainfall.
- Besides the high winds, very dry conditions will also continue, adding to the dangerous fire conditions. Temps will again soar into the high 30s and continue to challenge record highs Friday
June 13th Derecho: Hypestorm or the real deal?
- The National Weather Service has confirmed that Wednesday's storm did indeed meet the qualifications for a low-end 'derecho'
- The widespread wind damage and heavy rain resulted in power outages, damaged property and downed trees. As of Friday morning, officials report at least three fatalities and several injuries as a result from the storms.
- A great discussion about the storm after days of hype across the country. While the storm did indeed pan out, it eluded major cities and massive damages leading some to question whether it was a bust or not:
World Population Could Be Nearly 11 Billion by 2100
- The UN published theyre latest analysis and the projected numbers are about 800 million, or about 8 percent, more than the previous projection of 10.1 billion, issued in 2011