Better Weather Around the Corner..Get Through Today & Tomorrow First...May 29th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Another 10-20 mm fell in the past 24 hours across metro Vancouver but the weather is changing
- First, we have to get through some heavier showers which are working there way in from the south over early afternoon hours
- The low pressure system will move inland and weaken this evening but onshore showers will continue in the forecast through the overnight and much of Thursday in the wake of the system
- Temps will remain on the chilly side as well with highs in the low to mid teens today & tomorrow
- By Friday though...high pressure builds in off the coast bringing sunny skies and temperatures back up to the high teens
- Still a chance we could see a brief sprinkle Saturday as a little system swings through but generally the weather pattern is warm and sunny through the weekend and into early next week
Toronto's Don Valley Parkway reopens after major flooding
- Several rounds of thunderstorms yesterday associated with the same tornado maker south of the border produced significant rainfall amounts across parts of Southwestern Ontario and the Greater Toronto area last night.
- Rainfall warnings were issued and between 60-90 mm of rain was recorded in parts of Toronto as of 8 am.
toronto/story/2013/05/29/ toronto-flooding-road- closures.html
More US/Ontario Severe Storms again Tonight as Same System Tracks East
- It was an active day for tornadoes in the Midwest last night with 29 preliminary tornado reports across Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.
- No injuries were reported from these tornadoes, but damage was reported near Corning, Kansas, and Fenton, Michigan.
- There is a decent risk of severe weather today with the possibility of a significant tornado outbreak over much of Oklahoma and Kansas, plus portions of the Texas Panhandle.
- On the warm front of the same system, severe thunderstorms are possible again tonight in southern ON as well as through NYC & Boston
Hurricane Barbara Making Mexico Landfall
- The hurricane is nearing the west coast of Mexico near Santa Cruz and will pose a threat of flooding rain and damaging winds as it pushes inland over the southern Pacific coast today.
- Some classes are cancelled at schools along the coast for the rest of the week, and storm shelters were being set up in 20 towns and hamlets.
- Barb has become the first hurricane of the eastern Pacific 2013 season (sustained winds 120 km/h)
EU Greenhouse Gas Emissions Lowest to Date
- The EU's environmental agency says the 27-nation bloc's greenhouse emissions in 2011 were the lowest since it began monitoring them in 1990.
- Greenhouse gas emissions dropped 3.3 percent compared to 2010, and were 18.4 percent below 1990 levels. It cited a milder winter in 2011 as the main reason for the drop
stories/E/EU_EUROPE_ GREENHOUSE_EMISSIONS?SITE=AP& SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT& CTIME=2013-05-29-10-28-49
Century-Old Ocean Data Provides Further Confirmation of Global Warming
- On the other and longer range hand...
- A new NASA and university analysis of ocean data collected more than 135 years ago by the crew of the HMS Challenger oceanographic expedition provides further confirmation that human activities have warmed our planet over the past century.
International crew takes short cut to space station: 2 days vs 6 hours
- A Russian spaceship took a shortcut to the International Space Station on Tuesday, delivering a veteran cosmonaut, a rookie Italian astronaut and an American mother on her second flight to the outpost in less than six hours.
- Typically, the journey takes two days, but Russian engineers have developed new flight procedures that tweak the steering maneuvers and expedite the trip.
indiatimes.com/home/science/ International-crew-takes- short-cut-to-space-station/ articleshow/20324892.cms
Russian scientists make rare find of 'blood' in mammoth
- Russian scientists claimed Wednesday they have discovered blood in the carcass of a woolly mammoth, adding that the rare find could boost their chances of cloning the prehistoric animal.