Warm & Sunny For a Good 4 Day Stretch...April 22nd
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- High pressure reigns over the next few days bringing us sunny skies and a warming temperature trend
- A layer of high cloud may start the day off tomorrow though as a some moisture sneaks in around the high pressure system, but clearing back up tomorrow afternoon and no rain expected
- Temperatures at YVR got down to a chilly 2 this am with some frost for the valleys..but by this afternoon we should be back up to a seasonal 14 degrees.
- As the high pressure continues to push inland winds will turn to offshore starting tomorrow night meaning warmer temperature for Wednesday and Thursday. At this point it looks like YVR could hit 16 or 17 with higher temps inland
- Overnight lows will continue to be on the cool side though
- By Thursday afternoon winds will switch back though as our high pressure ridge finally begins to weaken. Still some uncertainty as to whether Thursday will still be warm and sunny day or whether the cloud will get down to the south coast before the evening
- That will likely bring us rain or showers for Fri/Sat along with cooler temperatures
Ontario Flood Update
- The worst of the flooding is over for Central Ontario communities hit hard by flooding after heavy rain on April 18/19 (by the same system that brought flooding to the US Midwest
- The forecast is dry for the next few days although there may be some rain in the forecast for Wednesday
- In Huntsville the flood waters crested Sunday night although it may take several days for water levels to recede
- In Bracebridge, where the worst was expected to hit late Sunday into early Monday, the emergency response community continues to assess the status of the flood water.
- The province's Ministry of Natural Resources has also issued flood warnings for parts of northern Ontario, including the areas of North Bay and Parry Sound.
Still Winter Across the Prairies...Big Melt to Start End of Week
- Temperature at Winnipeg Airport topped out at 4.7 C yesterday, making it the mildest afternoon so far this year
- Temps remain well below seasonal across much of SK & MB this week before we finally see double digits Friday into the weekend. That's when the much anticipated melting will begin..
Sun-powered Plane Completes California Test Flight
- A solar-powered plane that has wowed aviation fans in Europe took to the skies Friday over the San Francisco Bay area in a successful test flight.
- Considered the world's most advanced sun-powered plane, the Solar Impulse took off from Moffett Field in Mountain View at first light for a two-hour practice run in advance of a planned multi-city, cross-country tour
stories/U/US_SOLAR_PLANE?SITE= AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE= DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-04-19-14- 57-31
Cosmonaut becomes oldest person to walk in space
- A 59-year-old cosmonaut became the oldest person to walk in space when he installed equipment outside the International Space Station.. not that that is old though!
- Pavel Vinogradov set the age record for spacewalking Friday while outside the ISS with fellow cosmonaut Roman Romanenko
News/2013/04/20/Cosmonaut- becomes-oldest-person-to-walk- in-space-Russia-ministry-says/ UPI-81011366479595/
NASA Successfully Launches Three Smartphone Satellites
- Three smartphones destined to become low-cost satellites rode to space Sunday aboard the maiden flight of Orbital Science Corp.'s Antares rocket from NASA's Wallops Island Flight Facility in Virginia.
- The trio of "PhoneSats" is operating in orbit, and may prove to be the lowest-cost satellites ever flown in space. The goal of NASA's PhoneSat mission is to determine whether a consumer-grade smartphone can be used as the main flight avionics of a capable, yet very inexpensive, satellite
Last Chance for Lyrid Meteors This Year
- The shower continues to be visible through April 26 after peaking during the predawn hours of Monday, April 22. While the Lyrids average 10 to 20 meteors an hour