Soaker Tonight & Tomorrow Then On Again Off Again...April 9th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- An Alaskan low pressure system continues to push up into the Yukon today, but the associated frontal system is draped across the the northern & central coast sections
- Wind warnings are still in place and gusts continue to clock in over 100 km/h as far south as Solonder Island.. winds should start to ease this afternoon
- The actual cold front is sinking south spreading rain down the sunshine coast and Vancouver Island Today, and showers for YVR. By overnight tonight and into tomorrow morning the cold front will reach Vancouver bringing heavier rain for tonight and the first half of Wednesday. Rainfall totals will be between 25-60 mm for metro Vancouver for that period. Breezy too
- Behind the front, a short-live ridge builds into place for Thursday bringing our best and only nice day this week- lots of sun and a seasonal 13 high
- The nice weather is short-lived however, our strong jet stream ushers in a new system for Friday afternoon
- The story is changing for our weekend however; although temps will still be cool & Sat could still see showers looks like we could get some good sun as well both days!
- By Sunday night an upper level low will begin sinking across BC for the weekend and into early next week so that still means cool temperatures- chance we could get back down to freezing for early next week.
More Active Weather for the Great Lakes
- After quite the lightning show last night for the lower Great Lakes- more rain on the way
- In face rainfall are in place for SW Ontario as a series of low pressure systems will give periods of rain from this evening through Wednesday and into Thursday. The rain will be heavy at times with isolated thunderstorms also expected. Rainfall amounts of 50-80 mm are expected by Thursday.
- The rain will likely change to freezing rain Thursday and then to some snow Friday with a 10+ degree temps drop
Major storm enters the Plains, dropping heavy snow and spawning severe weather
- It's day 3 of the severe weather for the US, with the same set-up that brought the tstorms to southern Ontario last night (collision of two very different air masses)
- This is being billed as the first major severe weather maker of the spring is also already delivering, and preparing to produce, potentially record breaking late-season snowfall from the eastern Rockies into the northern Plains, along the north side of its storm track...and on the south side; - 5 tornadoes were reported yesterday along with damaging winds and large hail across CO & KS..another round expected tonight
- Winter storm warnings now stretch from Utah to Minnesota, and blizzard warnings are up for locations near Denver, where schools and many businesses are closed today.
blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/ 2013/04/09/major-storm-enters- the-plains-dropping-heavy- snow-and-spawning-severe- weather/
- Same storm whipping up some very strong winds to the SW where wildfire concerns are high
Iran quake kills 30, injures hundreds
- The quake had a preliminary magnitude of 6.3, with an epicenter about 90 km southeast of Bandar Bushehr
- The focal depth was a very shallow 10 km which led to significant shaking.
- There has been at least 9 aftershocks between 5.3 and 4.2
- This is a seismically active zone where the Arabian and Eurasian plates are colliding into one another