Best Day This Week Today..Still Nice Tomorrow, Showers Return Fri...Apr 24th
- A strong ridge continues to keep skies blue today and with winds now offshore, today will also be the warmest day this week. Also the warmest day since at least April 1st..and if get warmer than 15.7 degrees then this is our warmest day this year! Inland temps will get into the 20s this afternoon.
- Onshore winds are back tonight though so lower clouds will roll in overnight and into tomorrow for more of a mix of sun and cloud and temps a degree or two cooler and the sea breeze is back by tomorrow afternoon
- Showers will begin Friday morning with steadier rain starting Fri evening and continue through Saturday. The heaviest rain will likely fall Saturday night before starting to clear up Sunday. A good 10-20 mm is expected on what is already a wet month: YVR has seen 113 mm so far this April and the average is around 83 mm.
- Sunday we might get a way with some sunny breaks but temps will be cooler this weekend as well- back down to 11 and 12 for Sat/Sun
More Rain for Ontario
- A cold front is tracking across central Ontario today bringing a round of rain to southern Ontario and snow to parts of central Ontario
- Further rainfall amounts of about 5-15 mm are in the forecast followed by a couple cm of wet snow tonight for the flooded regions
- While many large river systems have peaked in the area over the weekend into late Monday, the new rainfall along with more snow will lead to increased river & stream flows
- Here is the latest flood watches & warnings from the Ontario government:
Major Flooding Potential on the Red River Next Week
- The combination of an unusually deep late-season snowpack and surging warmth this weekend will set into motion rising water on the Red River.
- An end of cold, snowy pattern is coming quickly to the northern Plains and Southern Manitoba. However, the sudden shift to more seasonable temperatures will lead to problems
Hubble captures possible 'comet of the century'
- NASA's iconic Hubble Space Telescope has captured the clearest view yet of Comet ISON, which experts believe could become one of the brightest comets ever seen when it lights up the sky later this year
indiatimes.com/home/science/ Hubble-captures-possible- comet-of-the-century/ articleshow/19711935.cms
Hong Kong Flood Threat to Close out Week
Asian Monsoon Is Getting Predictable: Strong Correlation Between Summer Monsoon and Preceding Climate Pattern
Study: Voice-based texting no safer than using thumbs when driving
- Drivers using smartphone speech-to-text systems rather than their thumbs to text are in reality no less distracted when driving, a Texas A&M study indicates.