Spring-Like Weather All Week Long...March 25th
- Back home after a fantastic Irish holiday! Weather was great for the first 5 days- very Vancouver-like actually with sunshine, rainbows and rain clouds in a matter of minutes. Last few days though a big low pressure system moved in over Ireland bringing easterlies (the colder winds for them). A very damp cold indeed. This is the same system that led to 28,000 without power in Northern Ireland and heavy snow to the rest of the UK.
- For us though, I return to glorious high pressure! It will continue to dominate much of southern BC over the next few days meaning generally dry and sunny conditions
- Temperatures are on the rise as well; seasonal double digits today but by the weekend we could be flirting with record-breaking mid to high teens for the south coast, YVR included
- By Wednesday evening we may see some light precipitation for the south coast with an upper level disturbance which may linger into a cloudier Thursday. But back into the sun for Friday & the weekend at this point
UK and Ireland: Cold March Continues. Aren't you Glad I did not Bring this Back With me?
- Snowstorms, heavy rain, damaging wind and bitter cold have marked much of the winter throughout Europe, but especially the U.K., as multiple pushes of cold Arctic air have arrived in the region and brought significant departures from normal
Foreshocks Announce Future Earthquakes on Some Faults
- After a destructive earthquake, scientists sifting through the rumbles that preceded the big event often find foreshocks.
- A new study may help explain some of the mysteries surrounding these enigmatic earthquakes: Thus, foreshocks aren't triggers for earthquakes, as was once thought, instead, "these events can tell us how an earthquake begins...And if we understand better where and how earthquakes begin, we can better mitigate earthquake hazard."
A New Maps detail Universe's ancient light
- A spectacular new map of the "oldest light" in the sky has just been released by the European Space Agency.
- Scientists say its mottled pattern is an exquisite confirmation of our Big-Bang model for the origin and evolution of the Universe.
- But there are features in the picture, they add, that are unexpected and will require ideas to be refined.
- The map was assembled from 15 months' worth of data acquired by the 600m-euro (£515m) Planck space telescope
Dragon capsule set for return to Earth
- The commercial supply ship Dragon is set to return to Earth Tuesday morning after docking at the International Space Station for more than three weeks.
- The unmanned spacecraft owned by California-based SpaceX was to return home Monday, but the trip was postponed because of bad weather near its targeted splashdown site in the Pacific Ocean, NASA said on its website.
- It's now scheduled to begin its departure sequence from the ISS at about 4 a.m. ET.
technology/story/2013/03/25/ tech-dragon-iss-return-earth. html