Here it is! Taste of Spring Today & Tomorrow. Showers Return Sunday...March 8th
Our much anticipated high pressure moved over southern BC last night helping to kick out the lingering moisture.
Some low level stratus is still hanging around the Georgia Strait but generally blue skies prevail. What a fantastic day.
The Seawall is calling you...
The Seawall is calling you...
- High pressure continues to reign tomorrow, just watch for early morning status that will quickly dissipate with the sun for another gorgeous one. Temps should climb up to double digits today and Saturday
- Meanwhile it looks like Northern BC gets into the precip for tomorrow as it is directed up and over the south...after a nice stretch of sunny weather though
- As the ridge starts to flatten out on Sunday for Vancouver, showers will ride the west to east flow in for Sunday. Very light showers only..spotty at best even...but a mainly cloudy day
- Heavier rain for Sunday overnight into Monday..possible sunny breaks for Tuesday at this point but it is a more 'active' weather pattern next week
- Don't forget to set your clocks back Saturday overnight..
As We Gear up for Fire Season: FOREST SERVICE MAY LET MORE FIRES BURN
- After coming in $400 million over budget following last year's busy fire season, the Forest Service is altering its approach and may let more fires burn instead of attacking every one.
- The the "kill all fires" approach also angered environmentalists, who said it was expensive and ignored fire's natural ability to rid the landscape of dangerous fuels and bolster forest ecology.
stories/U/US_WILDFIRES_LET_IT_ BURN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME& TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013- 03-08-03-48-16
RECENT HEAT SPIKE UNLIKE ANYTHING IN 11,000 YEARS
- A new study looking at 11,000 years of climate temperatures shows the world in the middle of a dramatic U-turn, lurching from near-record cooling to a heat spike.
- Research released Thursday in the journal Science uses fossils of tiny marine organisms to reconstruct global temperatures back to the end of the last ice age. It shows how the globe for several thousands of years was cooling until an unprecedented reversal in the 20th century.
stories/U/US_SCI_CLIMATE_ TEMPERATURE_SPIKE?SITE=AP& SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT& CTIME=2013-03-08-08-36-59
OMG: Future spacecraft may be controlled by thoughts
- Astronauts in their future missions to Moon or Mars may be able to pilot a spacecraft using their thoughts alone, scientists say.
- Researchers at the University of Essex, have for the first time used a brain-computer interface to control a spacecraft simulator.
indiatimes.com/home/science/ Future-spacecraft-may-be- controlled-by-thoughts/ articleshow/18858521.cms
Russian scientists find 'new life' in Antarctic lake
- Russian scientists believe they have found a whole new type of bacteria in the mysterious subglacial Lake Vostok in Antarctica
- The samples obtained from the underground lake in May 2012 contained a bacteria which bore no resemblance to existing types,
indiatimes.com/home/science/ Russian-scientists-find-new- life-in-Antarctic-lake/ articleshow/18861213.cms
Two surveys in USA on how many people believe the science on climate change
- Question was posed to 2,000 people on whether there is solid evidence that the world has been warming during the past four decades, and 67 percent said "yes."
- Good map in there