Wet Week Ahead...Warmer Temps for the End of the Week...Feb 25th
Bit of a disturbance today on the back-end of Sunday's big rain-maker continues to bring unsettled conditions to the lower mainland today.
Winds are fairly gusty behind this system as well from the west, however we are also getting some sunny breaks today mixed in with the showers that will continue to taper this afternoon. Wind warnings in place across the west coast if Van Island
The sunny breaks will only last until the early hour tomorrow before the next rain-maker arrives.
Catching a break at Cambie & Broadway this morning...but my wallet did not as the Lululemon Lab is located there...
- The rain will begin in the morning hours with gusty winds again
- Long range models show that the week ahead is looking soggy, with systems sliding in Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. We may catch a drier day Wednesday afternoon although still cloudy and Saturday afternoon is probably our best change at some again this week
- Temperatures are on the cool side this week with a more NW flow but by Friday we get into some warmer air and into double digits for the weekend
- Avalanche risk still high for much of the province
Canada Has Launched Nan-Satellites Aboard Indian Rocket Today
- Canada's military took a giant leap into the space game today with the launch of its first satellite from a pad in India.
- Sapphire is a space vehicle about the size of a dishwasher that will act as an orbiting air traffic controller.
- Was built for the Canadian Forces by MacDonald Dettwiler and Associates. It will be able to monitor every object bigger than 10 centimetres across that is circling the earth.
- Watch for a cool interview with a Canadian who has a lot of experience with 'small' satellites tonight on CBC News Now with Ian Hanomansing.
Plastic to fuel Sydney-London flight
- In a first-of-its kind attempt this July, an Australian pilot plans a 16,898 km historic trip from Sydney to London using fuel produced entirely from plastic waste.
- Single-engine Cessna flight will be powered by five tonnes of "end of life" discarded packaging, waste collected from rubbish dumps and -- using a pioneering technique -- melted down into 1,000 gallons of aviation-grade diesel.
Chris Hadfield: the superstar astronaut taking social media by storm
- Still impressing the rest of the world. In the Guardian today: "he is on the way to becoming a breakthrough star in his own right, the first internationally recognisable astronaut since the grainy black and white television images made Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and the original Apollo astronauts into superstars"
- Forbes magazine went so far as to describe him as the "most social media-savvy astronaut ever to leave the Earth".
Tricky Winter Storm for Southern Ontario Tomorrow
- A low pressure system over Texas is forecast to intensify and pass near Southern Ontario Tuesday night and Wednesday.
- Significant amounts of precip likely with this system as it will be pulling moisture from the Gulf of Mexico.
- Looks like things will start off as rain tomorrow afternoon and then change over to snow by early evening for S ON and then eastern ON for Wednesday am
- Some areas, including the Greater Toronto area, west of the Niagara Escarpment including Waterloo region, Guelph and Orangeville, could receive snowfall amounts as high as 15 cm through Wednesday morning with this system.
- Lots of uncertainty with the forecast though..could be a ,ot of melting, mixing and even ice. Special weather statement in place for now but warnings likely sine travel will definitely be impacted starting tomorrow afternoon
And Your Animal Science for the Day:
- Vampire bats attack penguin chicks: