Wet Start to the Week..A Drier End in Sight...Jan 28th
A rainy start to the week. On and off light rain this morning. A cooler airmass has moved down across the south coast with this latest disturbance so snow levels have dropped as well to about 600 m..fresh snow on the north shore mountains this am and snow for the mountain passes.
A bit brisk
-Breezy winds are accompanying the moist northwesterly flow.. gusts have been >30km/h for YVR this morning. Just enough to get noticed
- Another system will arrive on Tuesday with wet weather continuing into Thursday...we might finally catch some sunny breaks mid week though in between rain arrivals. Temps will warm back up to 7, 8's by mid-week
- Drier weather may be on tap for the end of the week into the weekend as a ridge tried to build in
- Avalanche risk for much of BC is at considerable today with weekend storm snow
Icy Weather for Southern Ontario/Quebec
- The first in a series of low pressure systems that will track across the lower Great Lakes made for dangerous driving conditions today
- The day started off with a few cm accumulation in Toronto (and Oshawa!) followed by already 7 hours of freezing drizzle as the warm front of the system moves over colder grounds.
- Freezing rain warnings are in place across much of eastern Ontario including York & Durham region (same areas hit by the snowsqualls last week). Our Shwa Storm Trackers are in place ;)
- Over South Central Ontario, the freezing rain will persist into the afternoon in areas north of Toronto. Generally, freezing rain amounts of 1 to 2 mm are expected before moving northeastward tonight.
- This means 5-10 cm of snow for Ottawa & Montreal before changing over to ice this evening
- Another surge of snow & freezing rain will redevelop over eastern Ontario starting tomorrow morning ahead of the centre of the Colorado Low tracking towards the Great Lakes
- Record to near record warm temperatures Tuesday into Wednesday. Toronto could hit the mid teens this Wed
The Next Arctic Outbreak
- Just as the east is warming up... the west is getting hit with another round of Arctic chill
- Alberta will feel it first and temps will drop 10-15 degrees for tomorrow. -12 highs today in Edmonton dropping to -25 tomorrow afternoon...wind chills back in the -30 range
- The cold air will track east over the next week
NASA science balloon sets flight record
- NASA says a balloon launched in Antarctica and carrying a scientific experiment has broken the record for longest flight by a balloon of its size.
- The balloon carrying the Super Trans-Iron Galactic Element Recorder (Super-TIGER) experiment has been aloft for 46 days and is on its third orbit around the South Pole, the space agency reported Thursday
Cities Affect Temperatures for Thousands of Miles
- Even if you live more than 1,000 miles from the nearest large city, it could be affecting your weather...meteorologists knew this to be true.. but first study I have seen on this matter
- In a new study that shows the extent to which human activities are influencing the atmosphere, scientists have concluded that the heat generated by everyday activities in metropolitan areas alters the character of the jet stream and other major atmospheric systems. This affects temperatures across thousands of miles, significantly warming some areas and cooling others, according to the study this week in Nature Climate Change.