Happy Soggy Halloween! Rainfall Warnings in Place..Oct 31st
It's a wet one out there! I think that statement is the equivalent to 'hot enough for ya?". Definitely full rain gear for trick-o-treaters tonight. Warnings out for Metro Vancouver, Howe Sound and Fraser Valley for 50-70 mm through this evening. 15-30 mm has already fallen through yesterday evening for Vancouver Island and the lower mainland. And as we have been following, mudslides have resulted in Langley. Check cbc.ca/bc for latest details. See you at the winer of our Haunted House contest tonight at showtime. Yes I will be in costume..yes it is waterproof. ;)
- Freezing rain warnings also in place for Caribou region through this evening
- The Pacific frontal system will continue to bring rain at times heavy to the South Coast today. The heaviest rain is expected over Howe Sound and parts of Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley-west, mainly near the mountains.
- The rain will begin to taper off to showers tonight...but likely towards the late end of trick-o-treaters.
- I will take a look at the seasonal averages vs October rainfall totals today but we will ahve to wait untli tomorrow for the official numbers. At last check on Wednesday am we were already well over the Oct average of 112 mm for yvr at 144mm even BEFORE this latest round of 60+ rain. Looks like we have gone from all-time driest to one of the wettest over the past few months!
- Decreasing showers will be the theme for Thursday and by Friday it is looking fairly dry.
- Another frontal system will bring weekend rain...and showery pattern looks to set up for early next week..but mild!
What's Left of Sandy
- Sandy has basically merged with a low pressure system over the Great Lakes and will continue to weaken. The centre of the low is now crossing into southern Ontario and will continue to slowly track NE over the next 24 hours.
- Unsettled weather therefore will be the story from northern Ontario through to Atlantic Canada until the end of the week...showers & gusty winds and warm temps from southern Great Lakes east...cold sleety for upper Great Lakes
- Why did Sandy take such an unusual track?? http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2283 Might be some good discussion here with Ian in the 7...
International Tropical Storms Have Also Been Deadly Past Few Days:
- Tropical Storm Son-Tinh Hits Vietnam: 34 people were killed in Vietnam and the Philippines after tropical storm Son-Tinh swept through the region and moved across southern China.
- Deadly cyclone leaves Sri Lanka for India..Nilam was blamed for at least a dozen deaths and the displacement of at least 4,000 people because of flooding, the BBC reported.