Another Cold & Showery Day..But Mid-Week Ridge Builds in Early...Oct 23rd
Good Afternoon! Last night the frontal system moving through the interior gave 10-20 cm of snow at high elevation passes along hwy 3..another 5-10 cm is possible this afternoon for the Kootenay Pass. A cold upper level low will maintain its position just offshore through mid Wednesday...a cool & showery pattern remains in place today. Afternoon highs not getting above 9 once again. The coast may see a few lightning strikes and hail at higher elevations as we are getting a bit of convection
- The low will weaken tomorrow and shift east meaning diminishing showers tomorrow..and even sunshine by tomorrow afternoon and through much of Thursday..temps will be slightly warmer too by a degree or two
- By Friday, the weather pattern shifts to wet & mild. Too early to say with much certainty just yet so a general chance of rain for all through the weekend is the best bet right now
Prairie Winter Storm Still Going
- Snowfall warnings are still in place today from southern AB through to central SK with gusty winds. Wind chills are in the -16 range right now for Calgary!
- As of noon local time, Lethbridge AB had amounts of 24-30 cm! The snow has ended for the extreme south but still going for Calgary and into Saskatchewan where totals will reach 15 cm for the central portion nd Cypress Hills
- A winter storm watch has now been issued for Northern MB as the storm continues to track NE today
Tropical Storm Sandy Threatens Six Different Countries in Coming Days, Including Canada
- Sandy is projected to become a hurricane and more models suggest it will threaten the U.S. compared to yesterday. But it will impact Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti and the Bahamas first.
- A hurricane warning is in effect for Jamaica..where the storm will cross likely as a cat 1 hurricane tomorrow morning. A hurricane watch is in effect for the eastern half of Cuba for landfall Thursday morning as a tropical storm. A tropical storm watch has also been issued for Haiti and the Bahamas.
- So many of the hurricane forecast models take Sandy towards US eastern seaboard landfall early next week as a major storm...and then into Ontario/Quebec. But at this point still just as good a chance it may veer out to sea before US landfall. Definitely one to watch.
Russian Soyuz rocket launches crew to space station
- A Russian spacecraft has blasted off on a two day journey, carrying a three-man crew to the International Space Station.
- For the first time since 1984, the manned launch took place at the Russian-leased Baikonur cosmodrome's launch pad 31.
Major solar flare erupts from the sun
- The sun unleashed a powerful solar flare late Monday - The same sunspot produced three strong flares before this one in just the two days since it became visible from Earth's perspective. "This means more flares are probably in the offing, and they will become increasingly Earth-directed as the sunspot turns toward our planet in the days ahead
- Cool video of the flare:
Jail Italian scientists over L'Aquila and what's next? Suing Michael Fish?
- A great read for anyone interested in the story