Summer's Not Dead... Sept 25, 2012Afternoon! I think Henry Rollins knew a thing or two about Fall in Vancouver: "We know that in September, we will wander through the warm winds of summer's wreckage. We will welcome summer's ghost". So here's to a summer's ghost for a few days.
Beautiful BC Again
- After our 'weak front' yesterday...back to the sun for the next few days! A high pressure system is attempting to build back in meaning sunny afternoons and just above seasonal temps
- Next chance of rain will come on Friday as showers at this point...if we can make it through Friday without 3.5 mm of rain then its clear sailing untli the end of the month
- Super Typhoon Jelawat eyes the Phillippines, Taiwan and Japan
- Currently sustained winds are almost 260 km/h, equivalent to a cat 5 hurricane
- During the weekend, there is a good chance that a weakened Typhoon Jelawat could directly hit Okinawa and other Ryukyu Islands of Japan. Damaging winds, flooding rain and battering surf may all be major impacts. - Jelawat is the second-straight super typhoon of 2012, following Sanba - Meanwhile in the eastern Pacific, Miriam is now a cat 2 hurricane..while it is looking to weaken it does pose a threat to the Baja Peninsula for Sunday
Environment Canada is launching a science project to show how snowflakes evolve as they descent and use that info to make devices that measure snowfall accumulations more accuratelyThe new camera will be delivered to King City just north of Toronto for December http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/high-speed-camera-to-capture-falling-snowflakes/article4565978/
Strange Sea Foam Blankets Scottish Fishing Village as Storms Batter Britain
- Torrential downpours swept Britain for a second day, causing flooding in the heart of a historic market town and creating
- chaos on one of the country's busiest train lines.
- A Scottish fishing village was covered in white foam today after strong winds battered Britain.
- Parts of Scotland cut off from England by rail as services are cancelled
- More than 100 homes evacuated
- Month's rain falls in 24 hours; more torrential downpours predicted
Major Weather Satellite Monitoring East Coast Has Shut Down..Major Impact on Atlantic Canada
- GOES-13 satellite failed after days of erratic behavior, citing NOAA officials.
- Replacement satellite GOES-14 has already begun monitoring U.S. eastern coast. However, images on the eastern edge of view, over the eastern Atlantic, are distorted because of the position of the satellite farther west.
One to Watch For Oct 8th
- An Austrian parachutist will attempt to go supersonic when he jumps from a record altitude of 37 km over the U.S. reaching top speeds of 1,110 km/h and breaking the sound barrier with only his body.
Einstein's Brain Is Now Interactive IPad App
For only $9.99 the brain that revolutionized physics can be downloaded as an app.. http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2012/09/25/albert-einstein-brain-app.html