Atsede Tadesse is an ambitious and outgoing Grade 12 student at Cedarbrae Collegiate Institute. She says she's aiming for the top and won't stop until she gets there. Atsede is a very happy person, who's full of life and likes to think positively. She says she always has hope and believes that there will be a better day.
The music in Atsede's slideshow is courtesy of the Respect in Schools Everywhere (RISE) Program, an intensive youth-led violence prevention program for grades 7 to 12.
Scarborough Village is a small community in east Toronto that centers on the intersection of Eglinton Avenue East and Markham Road.
It is one of the 13 priority neighbourhoods identified as needing extra support by the City of Toronto and the United Way. The area has also been included in Mayor Miller's recent youth crime initiative.
Scarborough Village is a mosaic in itself. More than half of the population was born outside Canada, and visible minorities make up more than 70 per cent of the community.
In the past two years, community residents have formed a neighbourhood committee to launch improvement projects and develop programs for young people. They have built a new playground, started a cricket club and organized a South Asian women's group.
- en françaisToronto, la mosaïque
- Pour voir les récits des participants francophones.
- in depthToronto's Mosaic: A Reality Check
- In March 2008 we brought you our first series on Toronto's cultural mosaic.
- special thanksSony Canada
- Cameras for Toronto's Mosaic were provided by Sony Canada.
Meet the Participants
- Christine Diep
- Christine Diep is a Grade 9 student who lives in the Jane-Finch neighbourhood.
- Danusha Jebanesan
- Danusha was drawn to the story of a classmate who won't allow challenges to get him down.
- Chayanika Sonnadara
- Chayanika joined this project because she has always wanted to be a journalist.
- Drexler Reuben Ogbeifun
- Drexler Ogbeifun brings us the story of Zya Browne, who has lost friends to gang violence.
- Atsede Tadesse
- Atsede is an ambitious and outgoing Grade 12 student at Cedarbrae Collegiate Institute.
- Deshawna Kitson
- Deshawna is happy in Rexdale because people are working hard to make it a safer place.
Three of our French-speaking students also prepared English versions of their reports. More reports in French are available at http://www.radio-canada.ca
- Nadine Tkatchevskia
- Nadine is a quadrilingual vegetarian who wants to do some good in the world.
- Alison Vicrobeck
- Alison has a passion for journalism. She is the editor-in-chief of a student newspaper.
- Charlotte Débois
- Charlotte was born in Switzerland. She loves music and making people happy.