Summer Season details

Here are some of the guests you'll hear on The Next Chapter in the Summer:

Saturday July 4: Margaret Atwood
Monday July 6: Miriam Toews, Joseph Boyden

Saturday July 11: John Ralston Saul, Richard Wagamese
Monday July 13: Patrick Lane, plus "How Fiction Helps the Brain"

Saturday July 18: Lynn Crosbie, plus "Heartbreaking Moments in Can-Lit"
Monday July 20: Malcolm Gladwell, M.G. Vassanji

Saturday July 25: Farley Mowat, Gordon Pinsent
Monday July 27: Mariko and Jillian Tamaki, plus Prairie Lit

Saturday August 1: Neil Bissoondath, Charlie Pachter, & Lawrence Hill
Monday August 3: Russell Wangersky, Leila Nadir

Saturday August 8: Pat Capponi, Sasenarine Persaud
Monday August 10: Jose Latour, Lisa Gabriele

Saturday August 15: Meg Federico, plus "How Poetry Can Change Your Life"
Monday August 17: Don Cherry, Michel Tremblay

Saturday August 22: Randall Maggs, Adam Sol
Monday August 24: Debbie Travis, Abigail Carter

Saturday August 29: Anne Giardini, Aritha van Herk
Monday August 31: David Bergen, plus Carol Shields tribute

Saturday September 5: Mavis Gallant

|  Comments From Previous Next Chapter Site 9  | Bookmark and Share

Loved listening to Shelagh and Margaret - the topic was very relevant. Felt I was there in the room.

Janet Vickers, July 5, 2009 3:01 PM

listened to a repeat program(i think) mon. july13 ,author of the book isabelle(?)-guy gavrial kay(sp?) do i have the correct title and author -shelagh interviewed

don hopkins, July 14, 2009 12:29 AM

Really appreciated the interviews and discussion on literary rejection - even though the show was originally aired on Valentine's Day - it was very relevant for today and comforting to hear the voices of those who get to choose, and to understand how humble they are made by the sheer volume of submissions they receive.

I believe there is more talent than money out there and that we need to find more local ways to celebrate it. Of course there are the great writers who enrich our civilization, but I think we have learned that communities need their bards too.

Janet Vickers, July 19, 2009 1:07 AM

I just finished listening to a discussion on The Next Chapter about why Canadian poetry shies away from political subject matter. It was suggested that Canadian poets don't have a lot to work from in the political field - that politics in Canada are just a little, well, boring.

I question who those involved in the discussion have been reading and hearing.

Yesterday I attended the Vancouver Folk Festival, where Toronto-based, Jamaican-born dub poet D'bi Young had a crowd cheering her pulsating rhythms and her harrowing question - where did they put all the people in Vancouver to make room for the 2010 Olympics? Geoff Berner, the Vancouver-based accordionist and songwriter, also used poetry and caustic humour onstage yesterday to critique the social consequences of the 2010 Olympic games.

Many Indigenous poets in Canada, including Thomas King, Lee Maracle, and Brian Tuesday, to name but a few, have engaged consistently with politically-charged topics that include colonialism, cultural identity, and the legacy of residential schools in Canada. Japanese-Canadian poet Roy Miki has spoken extensively on the Japanese internment and human rights issues in Canada. Who says poets in Canada aren't engaging with the political?

While the writers canonized in Gary Geddes' 15 Canadian Poets and other poets on Canadian university reading lists may steer clear of political content, there is no lack of poets in this country using their work to convey a message - and doing it well.

Allie Jaynes, July 20, 2009 11:14 PM

I was pleased to have caught your interview with Malcolm Gladwell, I had intended to find his book as I had heard another review of it earler this year, catching only a brief impression about high IQ's, and this caught me as I have been subject to many professionals who have said to me point blank, "You have an IQ over at least 180 if not 200" and I had no idea what to respond to these statements. I was raised as a foster/adopted child in a well to do owner operated blue collar family, where the parents did what they could, but were blind to the extreme abuse directed at me from their own children seeing it as only sibling rivalry.
I was in therapy at 15 for 12 years for "Adjustment Reaction to Adoption" as I had withdrawn and closed down at 12 having no support or compassion to help me adjust, and have managed to somewhat patch a life together as an aircraft maintenance worker, and I am trying to get my commercial pilot's medical to become an instructor in my 6 place multi engine aircraft I am restoring, so you see the topic is totally appropo as I am already a 1150 hour pilot since 28 years of age (right after completing therapy) and I loved the reference to being able to fly airplanes, which I learned to love from my adopted father as I was his "flying buddy" sharing 3000 hours with him growing up in his private aircraft.
I was working as an auto mechanic at O'Donnel Morrison on Wellesley St in 1971, and one day walked into the coffee shop off the showroom, to be asked by the woman who ran it "what are you doing here" and I said I wanted a coffee, "No she said, what are you doing here, you could be anything you wanted to be, a lawyer an accountant, a doctor". and I could not answer as I was still in therapy. In 1980 I moved to California and with the experience I had I fascilitated budding R&D venture capitol computer firms transitioning into full blown production firms acheiving sales of $1.25Million/month, by restructuring their organizations into product producing fascilities, but got dismissed with no more than a goodbye before I found my way back to aircraft structural repair which paid the bills and lead me on a trail of 25 years being a high tech hobo, sometimes driving or flying my private aircraft chasing the next contract at some FAA Repair Station across the country, running into racism because I am half First Nation, in the south east USA before I realized what racism is.
I am currently camping in Richmond BC in my motorhome trying to get my licenses in order still wondering if I need to write my own book or let it go 'cuz few would understand or care to hear what I know. But as I listen to interviews like this one I know I have too much, and too many stories, not to share. Flying, Adoption, Rochdale, Yorkville, Montreal, Berkeley, Electronics Tech, Windrogue

Wind Rogue, July 21, 2009 4:01 AM

could you let me know how/where to find "the next chapter" show with Shelagh Rodgers and Max Ferguson ...I just heard it a ~week ago on the radio, but can not find the pod cast for it...
thanks
Stirling

Stirling Dorrance, July 24, 2009 6:08 PM

Are there any plans to post the podcasts for the summer episodes? I have been waiting to hear the Malcolm Gladwell interview, which broadcast back in July.

Walter T, September 1, 2009 7:00 PM

Hi Walter -- the summer episodes are repeat broadcasts. The original podcasts are available on our podcast page.

Tom Howell, September 1, 2009 9:39 PM

Caught the tail end of The Next Chapter for Saturday Sept. 5. A book about the 30's in Toronto was discussed (?). Would you let me know what the book title and author are.

Lawrence Wardroper, September 6, 2009 8:06 PM