Near-fatal allergic reaction caused by Starbucks dessert
- January 27, 2009 11:19 AM
- By Enza Uda
Peach Yogurt Parfait label had no mention of nuts
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is investigating Starbucks' labelling practices, after a young woman ate a parfait from a Coquitlam, B.C., outlet and almost died.
"I was shaking. My eyes were rolling into the back of my head. I wasn't breathing," said Kristin Gardiner. "The ambulance attendant later told me they couldn't get me to breathe."
Gardiner is allergic to nuts. On May 19, 2008, Gardiner said she ate a Starbucks Peach Yogurt Parfait — after finding no mention of nuts in the listed ingredients and being assured by a Starbucks employee that it was nut-free.