Among wireless newbies, is 3 a crowd?
- June 17, 2009 2:39 PM |
- By Paul Jay
By Paul Jay, CBCNews.ca
The Canadian Telecom Summit's final presentation was a panel with the heads from three of the new wireless entrants: Dave Dobbin from DAVE Wireless, Tony Lacavera from Globalive and Alek Krstajic from Public Mobile.
And while DAVE and Globalive have received much of the attention, Krstajic may have dropped the biggest bomb during the panel.
“Take a look at the three of us up here...two of us will not be here at next year's telecom summit,” said Krstajic. “Or we'll be here but have different business cards.”
Krstajic was trying to make the point that the wireless market is so competitive that the new entrants will have trouble gaining traction. Given that the other new entrants are planning to launch their networks in 2010 and next year's summit is just a year away, perhaps it was a tad hyperbolic. But then again, maybe his point is this: consolidation of new players is on the way. It's something analysts have talked about since the wireless spectrum was completed.
But his competitors disagreed, with both Dobbin and Lacavera saying there is room in the marketplace for all three companies.
All News blogs
- Universe hates Higgs boson, Chicago Cubs
- By John Bowman, CBCNews. A physicist working on the Large Hadron Collider doesn't think much of the theory that the universe is sabotaging the project to prevent the discovery of the Higgs boson. Might as well say that Nature hates... Continue reading this post
- Large Hadron Collider goes Back to the Future
- By Peter Evans, CBCNews.ca. Two respected physicists have put forward the theory that the Large Hadron Collider's stated aim of finding the Higgs boson might be so abhorrent to nature that mysterious forces are traveling back through time and sabotaging... Continue reading this post
- Multi-touch concept for desktops: 10/GUI
- By John Bowman, CBCNews.ca. I'm a fan of alternative ideas for human-computer interaction, so this video caught my attention. It shows an idea for a ten-finger touchpad interface and associated changes in the way a computer would handle multiple windows.... Continue reading this post