Belgium bans video game rentals
- October 31, 2008 11:07 AM |
- By Pete Nowak
By Peter Nowak, CBCNews.ca
In one of the more bizarre rulings in recent memory, Belgians will soon not be able to rent video games, according to a report on Kotaku. It's true - the Belgian Entertainment Association managed to convince legislators in the European country this summer that game rentals were hurting game sales.
As such, the courts decided that game rental outlets could no longer buy new titles to rent, and could only continue renting out their existing offerings until December 1.
Well, December is only a month away, so in 30 days there will be no more video game rentals in Belgium.
There are several problems with such a ban. As one of the comments on the Kotaku story pointed out, if the Belgian Entertainment Association was worried about how rentals affected sales, it's now going to have bigger fish to fry with the inevitable increase in piracy the ban will lead to.
More importantly, how long can such a double-standard possibily hold on a legal basis? By the same logic, aren't movie rentals hurting movie sales? You'd think someone will challenge the ban in the courts before too long.
All News blogs
- Universe hates Higgs boson, Chicago Cubs
- By John Bowman, CBCNews. A physicist working on the Large Hadron Collider doesn't think much of the theory that the universe is sabotaging the project to prevent the discovery of the Higgs boson. Might as well say that Nature hates... Continue reading this post
- Large Hadron Collider goes Back to the Future
- By Peter Evans, CBCNews.ca. Two respected physicists have put forward the theory that the Large Hadron Collider's stated aim of finding the Higgs boson might be so abhorrent to nature that mysterious forces are traveling back through time and sabotaging... Continue reading this post
- Multi-touch concept for desktops: 10/GUI
- By John Bowman, CBCNews.ca. I'm a fan of alternative ideas for human-computer interaction, so this video caught my attention. It shows an idea for a ten-finger touchpad interface and associated changes in the way a computer would handle multiple windows.... Continue reading this post