You down with LHC? Yeah, you know me
- August 12, 2008 1:02 PM |
- By Paul Jay
by Paul Jay, CBCNews.ca
With the date set for the start-up of the Large Hadron Collider, science writers in Switzerland can finally get down to the business of covering the event. What have journalists been doing during the months of delays? This one, who goes by the handle AlpineKat, made a nerdcore hip-hop video to explain how the machine works. (Thanks to BoingBoing, Slashdot for the links.)
As hip-hop goes, it's a little weak, and I'm not talking about the weak nuclear force. But as an educational primer on what the LHC does, it's a fairly concise explainer of everything from the LHC, dark matter, antimatter, gravity and the Big Bang.
It also is a nice continuation of the strange (no, not that kind of strange) tradition of explaining particle physics through 1980s-style rap flows, which I believe began with David Weinberg's Dark Matter Rap. It gained noteriety when excerpted in Timothy Ferris's The Whole Shebang. There's also the raunchy MC Hawking, if electronic voice-work is more to your tastes.
For physics education, it's a great leap forward, and for rap a giant step into the wayback machine.
All News blogs
- Universe hates Higgs boson, Chicago Cubs
- By John Bowman, CBCNews. A physicist working on the Large Hadron Collider doesn't think much of the theory that the universe is sabotaging the project to prevent the discovery of the Higgs boson. Might as well say that Nature hates... Continue reading this post
- Large Hadron Collider goes Back to the Future
- By Peter Evans, CBCNews.ca. Two respected physicists have put forward the theory that the Large Hadron Collider's stated aim of finding the Higgs boson might be so abhorrent to nature that mysterious forces are traveling back through time and sabotaging... Continue reading this post
- Multi-touch concept for desktops: 10/GUI
- By John Bowman, CBCNews.ca. I'm a fan of alternative ideas for human-computer interaction, so this video caught my attention. It shows an idea for a ten-finger touchpad interface and associated changes in the way a computer would handle multiple windows.... Continue reading this post