William Gibson and the 'Real World Web'
- October 10, 2007 12:17 PM |
- By Ian Johnson
By Nora Young
Gartner, Inc. released its annual technology trend report on Tuesday. Among the top 10 "strategic" technologies is what they're dubbing the 'real world web,' meaning "places where information from the web is applied to the particular location, activity or context in the real world. It is intended to augment the reality that a user faces, not to replace it as in virtual worlds."
The idea of the real world web, often called Augmented Reality or The Internet of Things, suggests that we stop thinking about the internet as something that exists in a separate 'cyberspace', and instead think of it as distributed around our real world environment.
It's a potentially powerful emerging technology, but what shape will it take?
On my technology show, Spark, on CBC Radio One and online, we're taking a two-part look at the Future of the Internet. If you're interested in a sneak preview, you can hear my entire interview with science fiction author William Gibson. He discusses the blurring line between the virtual and the real, and why cyberspace has turned inside out - you can hear it here.
All News blogs
- Universe hates Higgs boson, Chicago Cubs
- By John Bowman, CBCNews. A physicist working on the Large Hadron Collider doesn't think much of the theory that the universe is sabotaging the project to prevent the discovery of the Higgs boson. Might as well say that Nature hates... Continue reading this post
- Large Hadron Collider goes Back to the Future
- By Peter Evans, CBCNews.ca. Two respected physicists have put forward the theory that the Large Hadron Collider's stated aim of finding the Higgs boson might be so abhorrent to nature that mysterious forces are traveling back through time and sabotaging... Continue reading this post
- Multi-touch concept for desktops: 10/GUI
- By John Bowman, CBCNews.ca. I'm a fan of alternative ideas for human-computer interaction, so this video caught my attention. It shows an idea for a ten-finger touchpad interface and associated changes in the way a computer would handle multiple windows.... Continue reading this post