One more level?
- October 2, 2007 10:46 AM |
- By Paul Jay
by Paul Jay, CBCNews.ca
For some couples, video games can be a divisive issue, particularly if one of the spouses is spending more time than the other fighting hordes of orcs and dark elves. In the lexicon of trend watching , the spouses on the outside looking in are called "gamer widows." Toronto resident Sherry Myrow has even started up an online support group.
If this is you, tech humour site BBSpot has posted a funny flow chart to organize your priorities.
My wife Allysun is not a gamer widow yet, but she has been known to shudder after my half-an-hour of Civilization IV or Neverwinter Nights turns into two or more. Like the American Medical Association, I'm not ready to call it an addiction yet. But I do recognize that while I am conquering Byzantium or skewering Ogres, the barbecue grill could be cleaned and the basement clutter reorganized. Owning a home is like playing an RPG: there's always another task, another chance to level up, or in this case, upgrade.
So, to all those gamers out there, how do you keep the gaming in check?
All News blogs
- Universe hates Higgs boson, Chicago Cubs
- By John Bowman, CBCNews. A physicist working on the Large Hadron Collider doesn't think much of the theory that the universe is sabotaging the project to prevent the discovery of the Higgs boson. Might as well say that Nature hates... Continue reading this post
- Large Hadron Collider goes Back to the Future
- By Peter Evans, CBCNews.ca. Two respected physicists have put forward the theory that the Large Hadron Collider's stated aim of finding the Higgs boson might be so abhorrent to nature that mysterious forces are traveling back through time and sabotaging... Continue reading this post
- Multi-touch concept for desktops: 10/GUI
- By John Bowman, CBCNews.ca. I'm a fan of alternative ideas for human-computer interaction, so this video caught my attention. It shows an idea for a ten-finger touchpad interface and associated changes in the way a computer would handle multiple windows.... Continue reading this post