GPL lawsuit to settle?
- September 25, 2007 8:58 AM |
- By Paul Jay
by Paul Jay, CBCNews.ca
The first U.S. lawsuit over a violation of a public license that governs open-source software appears to be heading towards a quick out-of-court settlement, according to the latest reports.
Last week the Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) filed a lawsuit against Monsoon Multimedia on behalf of the developers of BusyBox, a small application whose source code is made freely available for others to modify. The SFLC said Monsoon had violated version 2 of the GNU General Public License when it used the open-source BusyBox software but did not make its own code freely available.
In a press release on Monday Monsoon Multimedia said it was in violation of the GPL and will release its modified BusyBox code in compliance with the license.
"Since we intend to and always intended to comply with all open source software license requirements, we are confident that the matter will be quickly resolved," Graham Radstone, chairman and COO at Monsoon Multimedia, said Monday in a statement.
The case had attracted interest in the software industry as a potential test-case of the enforceability of the GPL.
All News blogs
- Universe hates Higgs boson, Chicago Cubs
- By John Bowman, CBCNews. A physicist working on the Large Hadron Collider doesn't think much of the theory that the universe is sabotaging the project to prevent the discovery of the Higgs boson. Might as well say that Nature hates... Continue reading this post
- Large Hadron Collider goes Back to the Future
- By Peter Evans, CBCNews.ca. Two respected physicists have put forward the theory that the Large Hadron Collider's stated aim of finding the Higgs boson might be so abhorrent to nature that mysterious forces are traveling back through time and sabotaging... Continue reading this post
- Multi-touch concept for desktops: 10/GUI
- By John Bowman, CBCNews.ca. I'm a fan of alternative ideas for human-computer interaction, so this video caught my attention. It shows an idea for a ten-finger touchpad interface and associated changes in the way a computer would handle multiple windows.... Continue reading this post