Big bugs idea has no legs
- August 10, 2007 4:46 PM |
- By Ian Johnson
by Dan Westell, CBCNews.ca
More bad news for sci-fi fans. U.S. researchers have come up with additional science that squishes the idea of giant bugs.
Of course, such bugs couldn't exist; it's a physical impossibility, as any biologist knows, and as the University of Chicago's Michael C. LaBarbera has laid out clearly. Now the U.S. government's Argonne National Laboratory, Midwestern University and Arizona State have weighed in with their own evidence.
Using x-rays, the team set out to learn whether the insect respiratory system contrains bug sizes. Sure enough, the study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science reports that the size of the tracheal tubes needed to carry oxygen to the legs of big bugs would be too big to fit through the bottlenecks between the body and the legs.
In the late Paleozoic, there were giant bugs, but there was more oxygen in the atmosphere; hence the tubes didn't have to be as big as they would today.
The x-rays were used to take pictures of the tubes in four different-sized beetle species, where the body mass varied by a factor of up to 1,000.
Science 1: Big bugs 0.
All News blogs
- Universe hates Higgs boson, Chicago Cubs
- By John Bowman, CBCNews. A physicist working on the Large Hadron Collider doesn't think much of the theory that the universe is sabotaging the project to prevent the discovery of the Higgs boson. Might as well say that Nature hates... Continue reading this post
- Large Hadron Collider goes Back to the Future
- By Peter Evans, CBCNews.ca. Two respected physicists have put forward the theory that the Large Hadron Collider's stated aim of finding the Higgs boson might be so abhorrent to nature that mysterious forces are traveling back through time and sabotaging... Continue reading this post
- Multi-touch concept for desktops: 10/GUI
- By John Bowman, CBCNews.ca. I'm a fan of alternative ideas for human-computer interaction, so this video caught my attention. It shows an idea for a ten-finger touchpad interface and associated changes in the way a computer would handle multiple windows.... Continue reading this post