Video game sales jump in Canada
- July 24, 2007 11:38 AM |
- By Paul Jay
by Paul Jay, CBCNews.ca
Nintendo consoles continue to lead the pack as video game sales in Canada grew by 61 per cent from last year, according to results posted this week.
According to the retail analyst The NPD Group, the Nintendo Wii's flagship game Wii Play (with remote) was the top selling game in Canada through the first six months of the year. The Wii had three more games in the top 10 while Nintendo's portable DS had another three in the top 10. Value packs for the Microsoft's XBox and Sony's PS2 and the PS2's God of War were also in the top 10.
The total retail sales in Canada for video games reached $498 million during the first half of the year, a 61 per cent increase over the same period last year, NPD said.
These numbers are likely to grow in the second half of 2007, when traditionally successful franchises like Electronic Arts' Madden and Medal of Honor games come out, as well as an expected wave of games for the third generation consoles like the PS3 and XBox 360.
The most popular game in the United States so far this year is Activision's Guitar Hero II, available on a number of platforms.
All News blogs
- Universe hates Higgs boson, Chicago Cubs
- By John Bowman, CBCNews. A physicist working on the Large Hadron Collider doesn't think much of the theory that the universe is sabotaging the project to prevent the discovery of the Higgs boson. Might as well say that Nature hates... Continue reading this post
- Large Hadron Collider goes Back to the Future
- By Peter Evans, CBCNews.ca. Two respected physicists have put forward the theory that the Large Hadron Collider's stated aim of finding the Higgs boson might be so abhorrent to nature that mysterious forces are traveling back through time and sabotaging... Continue reading this post
- Multi-touch concept for desktops: 10/GUI
- By John Bowman, CBCNews.ca. I'm a fan of alternative ideas for human-computer interaction, so this video caught my attention. It shows an idea for a ten-finger touchpad interface and associated changes in the way a computer would handle multiple windows.... Continue reading this post