Warcraft expansion hits stores
- January 16, 2007 12:42 PM |
- By Paul Jay
by Paul Jay, CBC News Online
The massive multiplayer online game, set in a 3D swords-and-sorcery fantasy setting, has been hugely popular since it launched in 2004. Blizzard Entertainment, which runs the game, said it has more than eight million subscribers.
As with most role-playing games, the secret to Warcraft is the potential for characters to increase their abilities, get new and more powerful items and explore new worlds, which makes the experience highly addictive for some people. For those who've never played an online RPG, think of Dungeons and Dragons. Now take away the dice and the ceaseless arguing between players and dungeon master over rule interpretations. So it's fun. And addictive.
Amusingly, the BBC posts a number of comments about the game from hard-core gamers, not all of whom are in love with Blizzard's world. As someone calling themselves Thomas Bird writes, Warcraft is "[p]ointless twaddle. Go play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion or something, maybe even go outside! The only thing this game has going for it is that it's addictive. It never gives you a conclusion so you never stop playing."
All News blogs
- Universe hates Higgs boson, Chicago Cubs
- By John Bowman, CBCNews. A physicist working on the Large Hadron Collider doesn't think much of the theory that the universe is sabotaging the project to prevent the discovery of the Higgs boson. Might as well say that Nature hates... Continue reading this post
- Large Hadron Collider goes Back to the Future
- By Peter Evans, CBCNews.ca. Two respected physicists have put forward the theory that the Large Hadron Collider's stated aim of finding the Higgs boson might be so abhorrent to nature that mysterious forces are traveling back through time and sabotaging... Continue reading this post
- Multi-touch concept for desktops: 10/GUI
- By John Bowman, CBCNews.ca. I'm a fan of alternative ideas for human-computer interaction, so this video caught my attention. It shows an idea for a ten-finger touchpad interface and associated changes in the way a computer would handle multiple windows.... Continue reading this post