Brazil telco bans YouTube
- January 8, 2007 3:33 PM |
- By Paul Jay
by Paul Jay, CBC Online Online
Brazil's second-largest telco said on Monday it has blocked YouTube in response to a judicial order banning a steamy video of supermodel Daniela Cicarelli.
The move by Brasil Telecom comes after a Brazilian judge on Friday ordered YouTube to remove the video of Cicarelli and Brazilian banker Renato Malzoni from the popular video-sharing site.
YouTube had been ordered to remove the video in September, but the clip still appeared periodically as users kept reposting it.
Friday's judgement also said fixed-line operators that provide the gateway to the Internet must also take part in the ban, though which operators is unknown because many of the case details are sealed.
It's an interesting test case for YouTube to see whether it can manage its own content. If it can't, new owner Google Inc. could risk lawsuits for material that appears on the site. The inclusion of telephone operators into the publication ban is a new twist, as well. The order is temporary and may not hold up in court, but if it does it could have a chilling effect on what sites people in the South American country may view.
All News blogs
- Universe hates Higgs boson, Chicago Cubs
- By John Bowman, CBCNews. A physicist working on the Large Hadron Collider doesn't think much of the theory that the universe is sabotaging the project to prevent the discovery of the Higgs boson. Might as well say that Nature hates... Continue reading this post
- Large Hadron Collider goes Back to the Future
- By Peter Evans, CBCNews.ca. Two respected physicists have put forward the theory that the Large Hadron Collider's stated aim of finding the Higgs boson might be so abhorrent to nature that mysterious forces are traveling back through time and sabotaging... Continue reading this post
- Multi-touch concept for desktops: 10/GUI
- By John Bowman, CBCNews.ca. I'm a fan of alternative ideas for human-computer interaction, so this video caught my attention. It shows an idea for a ten-finger touchpad interface and associated changes in the way a computer would handle multiple windows.... Continue reading this post