CBCnews

Brazil telco bans YouTube

by Paul Jay, CBC Online Online

Brazil's second-largest telco said on Monday it has blocked YouTube in response to a judicial order banning a steamy video of supermodel Daniela Cicarelli.

The move by Brasil Telecom comes after a Brazilian judge on Friday ordered YouTube to remove the video of Cicarelli and Brazilian banker Renato Malzoni from the popular video-sharing site.

YouTube had been ordered to remove the video in September, but the clip still appeared periodically as users kept reposting it.

Friday's judgement also said fixed-line operators that provide the gateway to the Internet must also take part in the ban, though which operators is unknown because many of the case details are sealed.

It's an interesting test case for YouTube to see whether it can manage its own content. If it can't, new owner Google Inc. could risk lawsuits for material that appears on the site. The inclusion of telephone operators into the publication ban is a new twist, as well. The order is temporary and may not hold up in court, but if it does it could have a chilling effect on what sites people in the South American country may view.

Comments

  •  
  •