Radio

Sundays 8pm to 11pm on Radio 2

New Episodes at CBC Music

New Episodes at CBC Music

Need more Strombo Show? Head over to our page on CBC Music for new episodes, playlists and video extras.

CBC Music Past Shows

Alt News
100-Year-Old Man Takes on the Marathon
October 15, 2011
submit to reddit

If you're looking for inspiration to run a marathon (or just to jog around the block) look no further than Fauja Singh. Tomorrow morning, at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon, the 100-year-old man from the UK (by way of India) will attempt to become the oldest person in the world to finish a 42.2km race.

Singh has already had a big week. On Thursday, he broke eight world records for runners older than 100 in distances ranging from 100m to 5000m. But the marathon's the biggie.

Singh told the Toronto Star: "I always wanted to be the oldest marathon runner and said to myself that if an opportunity presented itself, I will not turn it down."

His last marathon was the 2003 Waterfront race, which, at the spry age of 92, he finished in under six hours. He chose to attempt this new record in Toronto in part because people "seem more accommodating of other cultures than some other parts of the world where the Sikh appearance is wrongly prejudged." Nice one, T-Dot.

Comments

Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Submission Policy

Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that comments are moderated and published according to our submission guidelines.