(Photo: Chris Wattie/Reuters)
On December 6, 1989, 14 women were singled out for their gender and murdered at the École Polytechnique engineering school in Montreal.
In 1991, the Parliament of Canada established December 6 as the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women, and every year since then, Canadians have gathered across the country to reflect and draw attention to the fact that violence against women is a daily reality.
How severe is the problem? Check out this post on 7 Sobering Stats About Violence Against Women In Canada.
Here's a roundup of some of the vigils and ceremonies taking place today across the country:
- P.E.I.: The Confederation Centre of the Arts in Charlottetown will be hosting a memorial service at noon, with guest speaker Colleen MacQuarrie speaking about consent. There will also be vigils held in Summerside and O’Leary to remember victims of violence. Find out more »
- New Brunswick: A ceremony will be held at noon in the Ballroom at St. Thomas University in Fredericton, N.B., upstairs in the Student Union Building. Find out more »
- Nova Scotia: The Pictou County Interagency Committee on Family Violence will join members of the Pictou County Chapter of Silent Witness and the organization Silent Witness Nova Scotia for a special presentation to mark the event at Pictou Academy. A public candlelight vigil starts at 6 p.m. Find out more »
- Newfoundland: Students, staff and faculty at Memorial Univerist'y St. John's Campus are invited to come together at an evening ceremony and small reception at the S.J. Carew engineering building, starting at 6:30 p.m. Find out more »
- Quebec: There will be a public gathering at 12:30 p.m. to remember the women who died Dec. 6, at the Montreal courthouse at the corner of St-Laurent and Notre Dame. Find out more »
- Ontario: A vigil is taking place at Ottawa's Minto Park at 6 p.m. to honour slain women, followed by a service at First United & All Saints Westboro Church. Find out more »
- Manitoba: Every year, the Manitoba Federation of Labour holds a memorial luncheon in Winnipeg. It begins today at 11:45 a.m. at the Union Centre Auditorium. Find out more >>
- Northwest Territorites: The Status of Women Council of the NWT is having a noon-hour luncheon vigil today at the Salvation Army. Find out more »
- Saskatchewan: The Moosejaw Transition House will have a luncheon at the Performing Arts Theatre in the Moose Jaw Public Library. Doors open at 11:30 a.m. Find out more »
- Alberta: The University of Calgary will be holding an event at noon at the Husky Oil Great Hall at the Rozsa Centre. Find out more »
- B.C.: The Public Service Alliance will hold an evening memorial with prayers and guest speakers at Surrey's Holland Park. Participants are asked to bring donations such as warm clothing and non-perishable food items to benefit local women's organizations. The event starts at 6:30 p.m. Find out more »