Your wardrobe says a lot about you: It can showcase your personality, taste and attitude—but also your age! In fact, according to fashion expert Genny Iannucci, your clothes can add as many as 10 years to your looks. Here's how to dress yourself younger at every occasion.
1. Contemporary Casual
- Wearing oversized, baggy clothing from head-to-toe tends to look frumpy (a.k.a. old!). Freshen up your look with a more fitted figure-flattering silhouette. A tailored boot-cut jean in a dark wash, a shaped tee and an updated jacket are casualwear staples.
- Give your casual wardrobe a boost with a stylish shoe. Wedges are on trend and offer comfort and sturdy footing.
- Colour is your best friend; when done right, it will instantly lift and brighten the face. Opt for punches of colour in ultra-modern or classic prints.
2. Modern Evening
- Lose the layers. As we age, we tend to cover up. Don't be so hard on yourself. Showing a tasteful amount of skin will refresh your overall look.
- Choose trends wisely. Latch on to those that flatter your figure or stick with timeless silhouettes rejuvenated in the season's newest fabrics, prints or hues. A trench is a tried-and-true wardrobe must, and even a bold animal print will stand the test of time when done in a neutral hue.
- Look for skirts that hit at the knee for a more youthful look. Be sure to always add a heel when wearing a skirt. But remember: The shorter you go on the bottom, the more coverage you need on top.
Above, middle: animal-print trench, jade-green sheath dress, suede pump and jewellery, all Le Château.
3. Cutting-Edge Career
Above, at right: Calvin Klein Madison Pants and Fitted Blazer, both at the Bay; striped top and Patent Bow Peep Toe Pump, both Le Château.
- Keep your clothing current; outdated styles will prematurely age you (e.g. long jackets, wide sleeves, big shoulder pads, etc.).
- Not only do styles (e.g. cut, colour, etc.) change over time, but so too do the ways in which we put outfits together. These days, it's all about mixing and matching: Don't be afraid to break up suits, try unusual colour combinations or pair dressy pieces with casual ones.
- Stripes always look youthful. They're also a great way to incorporate the season's latest colours.
A Canadian fashion-industry insider for over 20 years, Genny Iannucci is an expert in how to flatter your figure and build a strong, versatile wardrobe. Her passion? Helping women look their best on a budget.