As you prepare to hit the beach and search for the best beach essentials, we thought we'd share our classic favorites and modern must-haves.
1. The cover-up - this Double Strap Maxi Dress in black from The Gap ($39.00 ) provides great coverage but still shows curves and it's totally appropriate for hitting the hotel bar or the grocery store .
2. The bathing suit - we love a good black bathing suit, both for its versatility and its slimming effect, and this retro Lola one piece from Shan has tummy-hiding ruching and an old Hollywood look that is sexy for any age.
3. The shades - skip the oversized and overplayed sunglasses this year and, in keeping with the Hollywood glam look, try the Cathy Clubmasters from Ray Ban.
4. The tote - the Tommy Hilfiger Anchor Rope Tote ($39.00) is nautical done right - which means not overdone. We love the hand-drawn anchor.
5. The reading material - why take one book when you can take hundreds? The Kobo Wireless eReader (or Kobo app for iPad) allows you to access your entire library on the go and download new books as you fancy.
6. The protection - This is the must have of all beach must haves. Clarins sun protection products range from 15 SPF to 50 and will allow you to enjoy the beach without putting yourself at risk.
7. Ear buds - these Harajuku Lovers in-ear headphones from Monster and Gwen Stefani are an adorable way to tune out the world and plug into your music or your iPad.
8. The Towel - let them know you're a stylish Canadian wherever you go with the Cabana Striped Beach Towel from the Hudson's Bay Company Collection in the style of their classic multi-striped blankets.