1 tbsp (15 mL) liquid honey
3/4 cup (175 mL) warm water
1 pkg or 1 tbsp (15 mL) traditional or instant dry yeast
1 cup (250 mL) whole-wheat flour
1 1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp (30 mL) ground flax seed (optional)
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- In a small bowl, stir together honey with 1/2 cup (125 mL) of warm water (lukewarm, not hot). Sprinkle yeast into bowl, without stirring. Set aside for about 8 minutes, until foamy.
- Add whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, ground flax seed and salt into food processor. With machine running, pour in yeast mixture, then oil and remaining 1/4 cup (mL) warm water.
- Whirl mixture, stopping and scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- If dough is too thick, gradually add more water, just 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time. When dough cleans sides of bowl and forms a ball, it is ready. If dough feels too sticky, add an additional tbsp (15 mL) flour while machine is still running.
- Form dough into a ball and place in a large lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to an hour. Make ahead: Refrigerate immediately (without rising) for up to 24 hours; it will rise in the refrigerator and be ready to use the next day.
Preparation Time: 0
Cook Time: N/A