Nutritionist and fitness expert Tosca Reno shows us a couple simple body tests to help gauge our overall health. These are tests we can do anywhere!
- Shake out your hands at arm's length.
- Place your right hand on your heart.
- Let your left hand hang down by your side.
- Observe your veins. Now raise your left hand and watch what happens to the veins. Are they still present or have they collapsed? If the latter, you are dehydrated.
Why do this?
Dehydration is the number one nutritional deficiency in North America. More and more people are drinking their calories and we need to get back to proper hydration. For every 8 ounces of a "bad" drink you need to drink 12 ounces of water. So, if you normally drink water only when thirsty, you're likely not drinking enough.
Solutions if dehydrated
- Supersize your water bottle! Carrying a large water bottle around will help you visualize how much water you should drink in one day. Aim for two litres.
- Try drinking coconut water.
- Stock up on H20-heavy foods: cucumbers, watermelon, celery, apples, pineapple, grapefruit, berries and carrots, for example.
- Zing up your water with electrolytes. You can use lemon, lime or even a pinch of unrefined sea salt.
Stomach Acid Level Test
- Locate the HCL point on your sternum (about 1" inch down from sternum on the inside edge of left rib cage)
- Apply pressure and "rate the pain" from one to 10, one being no pain and 10 being a lot.
- The higher the pain level, the lower your stomach acidity is.
Why do this?
Stomach acidity is the main factor in how well you digest your foods. Proper pH balance should exist in a healthy person, and makes it possible to process proteins.
When your stomach acid is low (due to high stress, poor eating habits, bad diet, etc.), you are not able to digest protein properly. That's when the stomach malfunctions and can push putrefying food back up the esophagus. Lack of digested protein can create toxins in your intestines and set the stage for illness and disease.
Low stomach acid can also lead to more acidic blood. It makes it difficult for your body to absorb necessary minerals and creates the perfect environment for many diseases.
- Sour up! Tosca drinks apple cider vinegar to increase stomach acid levels. You should feel a warming sensation in your stomach.
- Warm up! Beverages consumed at room temperature are easier on the digestive system.
- Eat up! Naturally improve digestion with foods like tomatoes, apples, and citrus fruits.